Latest Developments of HgCdTe e-APDs at CEA LETI-Minatec
- 149 Downloads
In this communication, we report on the electro-optical characterization of planar back-side-illuminated HgCdTe electron initiated avalanche photodiode (e-APD) test arrays with cut-off wavelengths λ c = 2.4 μm, λ c = 4.8 μm, and λ c = 9.2 μm. The e-APDs were manufactured at LETI using absorption layers grown by molecular beam epitaxy (MBE). We present measurements of the distributions in gain, noise, and equivalent input dark current. The mid-wave (MW) diodes yielded a very low dispersion (2%) and high operability (98%) for gains up to M = 200. The excess noise factor and equivalent input current (I eq_in) operability were slightly lower, due to defects in the depletion region. The lowest measured value of I eq_in = 1 fA corresponds to the lowest level measured so far in HgCdTe e-APDs and opens the way to new applications. The gain in the long-wave (LW) diodes was limited by tunnelling currents to a value of M = 2.4, associated with an average noise factor F = 1.2. A gain of M = 20 at a bias of −22.5 V was demonstrated in the short-wave (SW) e-APDs.
KeywordsHgCdTe APD MBE SW MW LW gain dispersion sensitivity
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
The authors wish to thank the DGA and J.-C. Peyrard for supporting this study.
- 5.M. Vaidyanathan et al., 2004 IEEE Aerospace Conference Proc. 3, 1776 (2004)Google Scholar
- 7.G. Perrais, J. Rothman, G. Destefanis, J. Baylet, P. Castelein, J.-P. Chamonal etP. Tribolet, Proc. SPIE. 6935, 69350H (2006)Google Scholar
- 11.J. Beck, M. Woodall, R. Scritchfield, M. Ohlson, L. Wood, P. Mitra, and J. Robinson, to be published in J. Electron. Mater. 37 (2008). doi: 10.1007/s11664-008-0420-9
- 12.M.B. Reine, J.W. Marciniec, K.K. Wong, T. Parodos, J.D. Mullarkey, P.A. Lamarre, S.P. Tobin, R.W. Minich, and K.A. Gustavsen, to be published in J. Electron. Mater. 37, (2008)Google Scholar
- 14.M.A. Kinch, to be published in J. Electron. Mater. 37 (2008). doi: 10.1007/s11664-008-0439-y