MBE HgCdTe Technology: A Very General Solution to IR Detection, Described by “Rule 07”, a Very Convenient Heuristic
- 908 Downloads
“Rule 07,” a simple empirical relationship, conveniently estimates state- of-the-art HgCdTe dark current performance over 13 orders of magnitude, covering wavelength ranges form short-wave infrared (SWIR) to long-wave infrared (LWIR), from room temperature to liquid nitrogen temperatures. The best HgCdTe, in some cases, approaches the external radiative limit of performance, but is typically two to three orders of magnitude above that, being limited by defect generation centers as yet unidentified and/or by Auger mechanisms. The empirical relationship represents the range of detectors fabricated at Teledyne using our molecular beam epitaxy (MBE)-based double-layer planar heterostructure (DLPH) technology, but also appears to characterize good detectors from other laboratories.
KeywordsInfrared detector IR HgCdTe Focal-Plane Array MBE InSb InGaAs
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.J.M. Arias, J.G. Pasko, M. Zandian, J. Bajaj, L.J. Kozlowski, R.E. DeWames, and W.E. Tennant, Proc. SPIE Symp. Producibility II–VI Mater. Devices 2228, 210 (1994)Google Scholar
- 3.J. Bajaj and A. Joshi, Proceedings of the International Workshop on Semiconductor Devices IWPSD 2005, ed. Agarwal and Singh (New Delhi: Allied Publishers, 2005), EN66839Google Scholar
- 5.W.E. Tennant and C. Cabelli, Mat. Res. Soc. Syp. Proc. 484, 221 (1998)Google Scholar
- 8.M.A. Kinch, Proc. SPIE 4369, ed. B.F. Andresen, G.F. Fulop, and M. Strojnik, 566 (2001)Google Scholar
- 11.A. Manissadjian, P. Tribolet, G. DeStefanis, and E. De Borniol, Proc. SPIE 5783, ed. B.F. Andresen and G.F. Fulop, 231 (2005)Google Scholar
- 13.M. Cohen (Presentation at 15th NDIA Night Ops Symposium 10–12 October 2000 (from Defense Technical Information Center archive))Google Scholar
- 14.R.E. DeWames, D.D. Edwall, M. Zandian, L.O. Bubulac, J.G. Pasko, W.E. Tennant, J.M. Arias, and A. D’Sousa, J. Electron. Mater. 27, 1998 (722)Google Scholar