Thermodynamic properties of titanium and iron in molten silicon
- 271 Downloads
Titanium and iron in silicon are known as harmful “lifetime killer” impurities, which shorten the lifetime of excited carriers in silicon solar cell and disturb power generation. Therefore, the removal of titanium and iron is one of the most important topics for the production of solar grade silicon. Thermodynamic properties of titanium and iron in molten silicon were determined at 1723 K by equilibrating molten silicon-titanium alloys or molten silicon-iron alloys with molten lead, which has a limited mutual solubility for both alloys. The activity coefficients of infinite dilution, self-interaction coefficients of titanium and iron in molten silicon, and the Gibbs energy change of mixing for silicon-titanium and silicon-iron at 1723 K relative to pure liquid silicon, titanium, and iron were determined.
KeywordsSilicon Solar Cell Lead Phase Gibbs Energy Change Molten Silicon Molten Lead
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.R.H. Hopkins: Effects of Impurities and Processing on Silicon Solar Cells Progress Report No. DOE/JPL 95433, United States Department of Energy, Washington, DC, 1980.Google Scholar
- 2.D.H. Kirkwood and J. Chipman: J. Phys. Chem., 1961, vol. 65, pp. 1082–84.Google Scholar
- 3.K. Sakaguchi and M. Maeda: Metall. Trans. B, 1992, vol. 23B, pp. 423–27.Google Scholar
- 5.I.V. Nikolaenko, G.I. Batalin, E.A. Beloborodova, V.S. Zhuravlev, and N. Ya. Sukhodola: Russ. J. Phys. Chem., 1984, vol. 58, pp. 1740–41.Google Scholar
- 6.J.L. Murray: Phase Diagrams of Binary Titanium Alloys, ASM INTERNATIONAL Metals Park, OH, 1987, pp. 289–94.Google Scholar
- 7.I. Barin: Thermochemical Data of Pure Substances, VCH, Weinheim, Germany, 1989, Part 1, p. 536.Google Scholar
- 8.Yu. O. Esin, M.G. Valishev, A.F. Ermakov, P.V. Gel’d, and M.S. Petrushevskiy: Russ. Metall., 1981, vol. 2, pp. 71–72.Google Scholar
- 9.V.S. Sudavtsova, G.I. Batalin, and V.S. Tutevich: Izv. Akad. Nauk SSSR, Neorg. Mater., 1985, vol. 21, pp. 779–82.Google Scholar
- 10.C.C. Hsu, A.V. Polyakov, and A.M. Samarin: Isv. Vug. Chern. Metall., 1961, No. 1, pp. 12–20.Google Scholar
- 11.F. Körber and W. Oelsen: Mitt. Kaiser Wilhelm Inst. Eisenforsch., 1936, vol. 18, pp. 109–30.Google Scholar
- 12.Y. Iguchi, Y. Tozaki, M. Kakizaki, T. Fuwa, and S. Ban-ya: Tetsu-to-Hagané, 1981, vol. 67, pp. 925–32.Google Scholar