Dephosphorization of Levitated Silicon-Iron Droplets for Production of Solar-Grade Silicon
- 67 Downloads
The treatment of relatively inexpensive silicon-iron alloys is a potential refining route in order to generate solar-grade silicon. Phosphorus is one of the more difficult impurity elements to remove by conventional processing. In this study, electromagnetic levitation was used to investigate phosphorus behavior in silicon-iron alloy droplets exposed to H2-Ar gas mixtures under various experimental conditions including, refining time, temperature (1723 K to 1993 K), gas flow rate, iron content, and initial phosphorus concentration in the alloy. Thermodynamic modeling of the dephosphorization reaction permitted prediction of the various gaseous products and indicated that diatomic phosphorus is the dominant species formed.
Appreciation is expressed to the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada for providing project funding through a Strategic Research Grant.
- 2.Price quotes updated weekly—PV spot prices. (EnergyTrend PV of Trendforce Corp., Taipei, 2017). http://pv.energytrend.com/pricequotes.html. Accessed 29 November 2017.
- 10.M. Popa: Nonconv. Technol. Rev., 2010, vol. 1, pp. 34-38.Google Scholar
- 11.Z. Royer: Optimizing electromagnetic levitation design to enhance thermodynamic measurement, Ph.D. Thesis, Iowa State University, Ames, IA, 2012, pp. 5–6.Google Scholar
- 14.O. Kubaschewski and C.B. Alcock, Metallurgical Thermochemistry, 5th ed., Oxford, Pergamon Press, 1979.Google Scholar
- 15.B.V. Patil, A.H. Chan, R.J. Choulet: The Making, Shaping and Treating of Steel: Chapter 12 Refining of Stainless Steels, 11th ed., The AISE Steel Foundation, Pittsburgh, PA, 1998, pp. 721-726.Google Scholar
- 16.Mitsutaka Hino, Kimihisa Ito: Thermodynamic Data for Steelmaking, Tohoku University Press, Sendai, 2010, p.260.Google Scholar
- 17.P.R. Gaines: ICP Operations Guide, Inorganic Ventures™, Christiansburg, 2011.Google Scholar
- 18.M. Duffy, R. Thomas: At. Spectrosc., 1996, vol. 17, pp.128-132.Google Scholar