Experimentally Determined Phase Diagram for the Barium Sulfide-Copper(I) Sulfide System Above 873 K (600 °C)
- 266 Downloads
The phase diagram of the barium sulfide-copper(I) sulfide system was investigated above 873 K (600 °C) using a custom-built differential thermal analysis (DTA) apparatus. The melting point of barium sulfide was determined utilizing a floating zone furnace. Four new compounds, Ba2Cu14S9, Ba2Cu2S3, Ba5Cu4S7, and Ba9Cu2S10, were identified through quench experiments analyzed with wavelength dispersive X-ray spectroscopy (WDS) and energy dispersive X-ray analysis (EDS). A miscibility gap was observed between 72 and 92 mol pct BaS using both DTA experiments and in situ melts observation in a floating zone furnace. A monotectic was observed at 94.5 mol pct BaS and 1288 K (1015 °C).
The authors wish to acknowledge the MIT UROP office Sanders, Lord, and DeFlorez Funds, Strategic Young Researcher Overseas Visits Program for Accelerating Brain Circulation (R2504) by JSPS, and the Office of Naval Research (N000141210521) for their financial support to this project. The authors wish to thank Dr. Sulata Sahu, Mr. Brian Chmielowiec, and Mr. Bradley Nakanishi for their insight and experimental assistance.
- 4.M. Bouroushian, F. Scholz: Electrochemistry of Metal Chalcogenides, Springer-Verlag, Heidelberg, Germany, 2010, pp. 57-75.Google Scholar
- 5.O.V. Andreev, N.N. Parshukov: Russ. J. Inorg. Chem, 1991, vol. 36, pp. 1190–1191.Google Scholar
- 7.N. A. Khritohin, O. V. Andreev, O. V. Mitroshin, A. S. Korotkov: J. Phase Equilibria Diffus., 2004, vol. 25, pp. 515–519.Google Scholar
- 10.D. Shin, T. Zhu, X. Huang, O. Gunawan, V. Blum, and D.B. Mitzi: Adv. Mater., 2017, vol. 29, DOI: 10.1002/adma.201606945
- 15.W.M. Haynes, ed., CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics, 97th ed., CRC Press/Taylor & Francis, Boca Raton, FL, 2016.Google Scholar
- 16.R. C. Mackenzie: Differential Thermal Analysis, Academic Press, New York, NY, 1970.Google Scholar
- 19.O. V. Andreev, N. V. Sikerina, A. V. Solov’eva: Zurnal Neorganiceskoj Himii, 2005, vol. 50(10), pp. 1697–1701.Google Scholar