Comparison of CFD Simulations with Experimental Measurements of Nozzle Clogging in Continuous Casting of Steels
Measurements of clog deposit thickness on the interior surfaces of a commercial continuous casting nozzle are compared with computational fluid dynamics (CFD) predictions of melt flow patterns and particle–wall interactions to identify the mechanisms of nozzle clogging. A submerged entry nozzle received from industry was encased in epoxy and carefully sectioned to allow measurement of the deposit thickness on the internal surfaces of the nozzle. CFD simulations of melt flow patterns and particle behavior inside the nozzle were performed by combining the Eulerian-Lagrangian approach and detached eddy simulation turbulent model, matching the geometry and operating conditions of the industrial test. The CFD results indicated that convergent areas of the interior cross section of the nozzle increased the velocity and turbulence of the flowing steel inside the nozzle and decreased the clog deposit thickness locally in these areas. CFD simulations also predicted a higher rate of attachment of particles in the divergent area between two convergent sections of the nozzle, which matched the observations made in the industrial nozzle measurements.
The authors would like to acknowledge the Kent D. Peaslee Steel Manufacturing Research Center (PSMRC) at Missouri University of Science and Technology (Missouri S&T) for funding support of this research.
- 1.SK Choudhary and AJ Khan: Steel Times Int., 2000, vol. 24, p. 21.Google Scholar
- 2.KG Rackers and BG Thomas: Urbana, 1995, vol. 51, p. 61801.Google Scholar
- 3.H. Schuster S. Rödl, S. Ekerot, G. Xia,N. Veneri, F. Ferro, S. Baragiola, P. Rossi, S. Fera, V. Colla, G. Bioli, M. Krings, L.-F. Sancho, A. Diaz, M. Andersson and N. Kojola, Research Fund for Coal and Steel Unit 2008.Google Scholar
- 9.M. Mohammadi-Ghaleni, M. Zivdar, and M. Reza Nemati: in 6th International Conference on Advanced Computational and Experimenting, 2012, Istanbul, Turkey.Google Scholar
- 15.B.G. Thomas and H. Bai: in Steelmaking Conference Proceedings, 2001.Google Scholar
- 17.Lifeng Zhang, Brian G Thomas (2006) J. Univ. Sci. Technol. Beijing Min. Metall. Mater., 13: 293-300.Google Scholar
- 18.Fangming Yuan, Xinghua Wang, Jiongming Zhang, and Li Zhang: J. Univ. Sci. Technol. Beijing Miner. Metall. Mater., 2008, vol. 15, pp. 227-235.Google Scholar
- 22.ANSYS CFX 14.0 User Manual. Ansys Inc., CanonsburgGoogle Scholar