Modeling Manganese Silicate Inclusion Composition Changes during Ladle Treatment Using FactSage Macros
- 814 Downloads
This work investigated the use of FactSage macros to simulate steel–slag and steel–inclusion reaction kinetics in silicon-manganese killed steels, and predict oxide inclusion composition changes during ladle treatment. These changes were assessed experimentally using an induction furnace to simulate deoxidation and slag addition. The average steel mass transfer coefficient for the experimental setup was calculated from the analyzed aluminum pick-up by steel. Average oxide inclusion composition was measured using scanning electron microscopy and energy-dispersive X-ray spectroscopy. Confocal laser scanning microscopy was used to assess the physical state (solid or liquid) of oxide inclusions in selected samples. The changes in the chemical compositions of the oxide inclusions and the steel agreed with the FactSage macro simulations.
KeywordsMass Transfer Coefficient Nonmetallic Inclusion Liquid Steel Oxide Inclusion Inclusion Composition
We are grateful for support of this work by the industrial members of the Center for Iron and Steelmaking Research. We acknowledge use of the Materials Characterization Facility at Carnegie Mellon University supported by Grant MCF-677785. The financial support of Stephano P.T. Piva by CAPES under the process BEX 13379/13-5—Doutorado Pleno/Ciência sem Fronteiras is gratefully acknowledged.
- 1.Macro Processing Manual—FactSage 7. http://www.crct.polymtl.ca/fact/Macros.htm. Accessed 22 April 2016.
- 2.C. Bale: FactSage, personal communication, 2015.Google Scholar
- 4.A. Ishii, M. Tate, T. Ebisawa, and K. Kawakami: Iron Steelmaker, 1983, vol. 10(7), pp. 35-42.Google Scholar
- 5.E.T. Turkdogan: Arch. Eisenhuettenwes., 1983, vol. 54, pp. 1-52.Google Scholar
- 6.G. Bernard, P.V. Riboud and G. Urbain: Rev. Metall./Cah. d’Inf. Tech., 1981, vol. 78, pp. 421–33.Google Scholar
- 9.K. Schwerdtfeger: Arch. Eisenhuettenwes., 1983, vol. 54, pp. 87-98.Google Scholar
- 11.P.C. Pistorius, D. Tang and M.E. Ferreira: Proceedings of the 9th International Conference and Exhibition on Clean Steel, Budapest, 8-10 September 2015, OMBKE, Budapest, 2015.Google Scholar
- 12.C. Merlet: X-ray Optics and Microanalysis, 1992: Proceedings of the Thirteenth International Congress, UMIST, Manchester, UK, 31 August-4 September 1992, pp. 123–6, Institute of Physics, Bristol, 1993.Google Scholar
- 13.C. Merlet: Mikrochim. Acta, 1994, vol. 363, pp. 114-115.Google Scholar
- 16.P. Misra, N. Phinichka and A.W. Cramb: Iron & Steelmaker, 2003, vol. 30(10), pp. 46-55.Google Scholar
- 17.EB Pretorius, HG Oltmann, T Cash: Iron Steel Technol., 2010, vol. 7(7), pp. 31-44.Google Scholar