Influence of CaO-SiO2-Al2O3 Ternary Oxide System on the Reduction Behavior of Carbon Composite Pellet: Part I. Reaction Kinetics
The reduction behavior of composite pellets comprising of hematite, synthetic graphite, and several oxide binder systems was investigated in a laboratory-scale horizontal tube furnace. Three oxide binder systems using silica-rich, alumina-rich, and conventional blast furnace slag compositions were selected to examine the effect of oxide chemistry on the reduction behavior of pellets. Compositional differences in the CaO-SiO2-Al2O3 ternary system were confirmed to influence the reactions occurring in composite pellets during the reduction of iron oxide. An in situ visualization approach was used to observe the oxide/iron/carbon interactions at high temperatures from 1623 K to 1773 K (1350 °C to 1500 °C). The off-gas composition was measured by means of an infrared analyzer to determine the pellet reaction rates. Changes in physical appearance during the in situ reaction experiments demonstrated a strong correlation between the oxide composition and internal reactions. Moreover, the mechanical properties of pellets were investigated by measuring compressive strength to understand the relationship between physical properties of pellets and the associated oxide binder systems selected for this study.
- 1.F. Habashi, Handbook of Extractive Metallurgy, vol. 1, WILEY-VCH, Weinhein, 1997, pp. 104–132.Google Scholar
- 2.K. Meyer: Pelletizing of Iron Ores, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1980, p. 52.Google Scholar
- 3.A. Kasai, Y. Matsui and Y.Yamagata: CAMP-ISIJ, 2003, vol. 16, No.1, pp. 95.Google Scholar
- 4.A. Kasai, M. Naito, Y. Matsui and Y. Yamagata: Tetsu-to-Hagané, 2003, vol. 89, pp. 1212.Google Scholar
- 5.K. Kojima, T. Miwa, M. Gono, A. Yamura, A. Suzuki and J. Haruna: Tetsu-to-Hagané, 1983, vol. 69, pp. 780.Google Scholar
- 6.S. Takajo, H. Maeda, A. Yumura, T.Osawa and Y. Fujiwara: Tetsu-to-Hagané, 1986, vol.72, p. 886.Google Scholar
- 14.Y.K. Rao: Metall, Trans. B, 1971, vol. 2B, pp. 1439-1447.Google Scholar
- 16.A. K. Biswas: Principles of Blast Furnace Ironmaking, Cootha, Brisbane, 1981, pp. 37–185, 349–73.Google Scholar
- 18.K. Meyer: Pelletizing of Iron Ores, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1980, pp. 24–28.Google Scholar
- 19.A.K. Biswas: Principles of Blast Furnace Ironmaking, Cootha, Brisbane, 1981, pp. 100-104.Google Scholar
- 20.Verein Deutscher Eisenhüttenleute (VDEh): Slag Atlas, 2nd ed., Verein Deutscher Eisenhüttenleute (VDEh), Düsseldorf, 1995, p. 105.Google Scholar
- 25.E. T. Turkdogan and J. V. Vinters: Metall, Trans. B, 1972, vol. 3, pp. 1561-1574.Google Scholar
- 26.O. Kubaschewski: Metallurgical Thermochemistry, 5th ed., Materials Science and Technology, New York, 1979, p. 380.Google Scholar
- 27.H.S. Park and V. Sahajwalla: Metall. Mater. Trans. B, 2013. DOI:10.1007/s11663-013-9932-7.