Influence of CaO-SiO2-Al2O3 Ternary Oxide System on the Reduction Behavior of Carbon Composite Pellet: Part II. Morphological Properties
- 483 Downloads
Carbon composite pellets composed of hematite, synthetic graphite, and oxide system were reduced at 1773 K (1500 °C) in a laboratory-scale horizontal tube furnace. The morphological properties of produced pellets after reduction were examined using light optical microscopy and a scanning electron microscope. Microscopic observation confirmed the correlation between morphological change of pellets and compositional difference of CaO-SiO2-Al2O3 ternary oxide systems. Samples were also analyzed by X-ray diffraction to investigate phase change during the reduction process. The impact of oxide chemistry was established as each pellet illustrated different states of iron oxide as a function of time. In addition, the surface area was measured by the BET-N2 absorption method to clarify the reaction mechanism which is significantly affected by physical contact.
KeywordsHematite Wustite Oxide System Fayalite Light Optical Microscope
The authors thank Dr. Renu Dhunna and Mr. Giehard Nebreg of SMaRT center (Centre for Sustainable Materials Research and Technology) at the University of New South Wales for sample preparation and XRD analysis.
- 1.K. Meyer, Pelletizing of iron ores, p.52, Verlag Stahleisen m.b.H, Dusseldorf, 1980.Google Scholar
- 3.B. Anameric, K.B. Rundman and S.K. Kawatra: Minerials& Metallurgical Processing, 2006, vol. 23, No. 3, pp.139-150.Google Scholar
- 6.H.S. Park and V. Sahajwalla: Metall. Mater. Trans. B, 2013, in press.Google Scholar
- 8.F. Johannsen and W. Wieze: Erzmetall, 1988, vol. 11, pp. 1.Google Scholar
- 9.Ishchanov, T.K.; Sushkov, K. V.: Met. Tetall. 1974, vol. 3, pp. 81.Google Scholar
- 15.E. T. Turkdogan and J. Vinters: Metall. Trans. B, 1972, vol. 3, pp. 1561-1574.Google Scholar