Study of Lime Dissolution Under Forced Convection
- 364 Downloads
Dissolution of different CaO cubes under force convection in liquid CaO-“FeO”-SiO2 slag was studied at 1873 K (1600 °C). A linear relationship between normalized lengths and time was obtained after the experiment. It was evidently observed that the removal of the interface layer(s) including 2CaO·SiO2 by shear stress was the main mechanism for the dissolution. A stirring rate of approximately 100 rpm was found to be efficient to remove the interface layer(s). The limes with different structures had different dissolution rates.
KeywordsLime Dissolution Rate Interface Region SiO2 Layer Lime Sample
The authors are thankful to Professor Patrice Nortier and Dr. Thierry Chopin for their valuable suggestions and stimulating discussions. Financial support and lime samples from Lhoist are acknowledged gratefully.
- 1.M. Mstsushima, S. Yadoomaru, K. Mori, and Y. Kaxai: Trans. Iron Steel Inst. Jpn., 1977, vol. 17, pp. 442–49.Google Scholar
- 2.C.A. Natalie and J.W. Evans: Ironmaking Steelmaking, 1979, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 101–09.Google Scholar
- 4.T. Deng, B. Glaser, and S. Du: Steel Res. Int., in press.Google Scholar
- 5.R.O. Russell: J. Metall., 1967, vol. 19, pp. 104–06.Google Scholar
- 6.R.P. Singh and D.N. Ghosh: Transl. Indian Inst. Met., 1985, vol. 38, pp. 207–14.Google Scholar
- 7.W.J. Schlitt and G.W. Healey: Am. Ceram. Soc. Bull., 1971, vol. 59, pp. 954–57.Google Scholar
- 8.L. Hachtel, W. Fix, and G. Trömel: Arch. Eisenhuttenwes., 1972, vol. 43, pp. 361–69.Google Scholar
- 10.Verein Deutscher Eisenhüttenleute. Slag Atlas, 2nd ed., Verlag Stahleisen, Düsseldorf, Germany, 1995, p. 32.Google Scholar