Effect of Wavelike Sloping Plate Rheocasting on Microstructures of Hypereutectic Al-18 pct Si-5 pct Fe Alloys
To refine and spheroidize the microstructures of hypereutectic Al-Si-Fe alloys, a novel method of wavelike sloping plate (WSP) rheocasting was proposed, and the effect of the WSP rheocasting on the microstructures of hypereutectic Al-18 pct Si-5 pct Fe alloys was investigated. The results reveal that the morphologies of the primary Si crystal, the Al18Si10Fe5, and the Al8Si2Fe phases can be improved by the WSP rheocasting, and various phases tend to be refined and spheroidized with the decrease of the casting temperature. The alloy ingots with excellent microstructures can be obtained when the casting temperature is between 943 K and 953 K (670 °C and 680 °C). During the WSP rheocasting, the crystal nucleus multiplication, inhibited grain growth, and dendrite break-up take place simultaneously, which leads to grain refinement of the alloys.
KeywordsCasting Temperature Conventional Casting Cooling Slope Slope Plate Rheocasting Process
The authors are thankful for the support of the National Natural Science Foundation of China under grants 51034002 and 50974038, and the Chinese National Program for Fundamental Research and Development under Grant 2011CB610405.
- 2.S.S. Li, A.M. Zhao, W.M. Mao, and X.Y. Zhong: Chin. J. Nonferr. Metals, 2000, vol. 10, pp. 441–44.Google Scholar
- 3.W.W. Zhang, Z.M. Yin, and X.Q. Chen: Chin. J. Nonferr. Metals, 1994, vol. 4, pp. 229–32.Google Scholar
- 6.D.G. Eskin: Zur Metallkund, 1996, vol. 87, pp. 295–99.Google Scholar
- 8.X.G. Yuan, D.M. Xu, S.Y. Zhang, and Q.C. Li: Acta Metall. Sin., 1997, vol. 33, pp. 248–51.Google Scholar
- 9.K. Ichikawa and S. Ishizuka: Trans. Jpn. Inst. Metals, 1987, vol. 28, pp. 434–44.Google Scholar
- 13.W.M. Mao, S.S. Li, A.M. Zhao, C.L. Cui, D.R. Wang, and X.Y. Zhong: Acta Metall. Sin., 2001, vol. 11, pp. 819–25.Google Scholar
- 16.K. Qin: Ph.D. Dissertation, Northeastern University, Boston, MA, 2007.Google Scholar