Combined Electromagnetic Tomography for Determining Two-phase Flow Characteristics in the Submerged Entry Nozzle and in the Mold of a Continuous Casting Model
- 533 Downloads
This article describes experiments on the combined determination of the distribution of liquid metal and argon in the submerged entry nozzle (SEN) and of the flow in the mold of a small-scale physical model of a continuous slab caster. For visualizing the metal distribution in the SEN, mutual inductance tomography (MIT) is applied, while the flow in the mold is determined by contactless inductive flow tomography (CIFT). The results of the latter are validated in part by ultrasonic Doppler velocimetry (UDV). Accompanying measurements provide information about the levels in the tundish and in the mold, as well as on the pressure in the SEN. Depending on the gas flow rate, various flow regimes are identified, among them pressure and mold level oscillations, transitions between double and single vortex flows, and transient single port ejections.
KeywordsMold Liquid Metal Continuous Casting Submerge Entry Nozzle Argon Flow Rate
This work was supported by European Commission under Contract 028679 and by Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft in frame of SFB 609. We thank Dirk Lucas for many discussions on two-phase flows and Hans Georg Krauthäuser and Ralf Jacobs for intense discussions about the mathematical foundation of CIFT.
- 2.L. Zhang, S. Yang, K. Cai, J. Li, X. Wan, and B.G. Thomas: Metall. Mater. Trans. B, 2007, vol. 38B, pp. 63–83.Google Scholar
- 4.T. Honeyands and J. Herbertson: Steel Res. Int., 1995, vol. 66, pp. 287-93.Google Scholar
- 6.J. Klostermann, H. Chaves, and R. Schwarze: Steel Res. Int., 2007, vol. 8, pp. 595-601.Google Scholar
- 7.U. Sjöström: 2nd Int. Workshop on Measuring Techniques for Liquid Metal Flows, Dresden, Germany, 2007.Google Scholar
- 18.T. Wondrak, S. Eckert, V. Galindo, G. Gerbeth, F. Stefani, K. Timmel, A.J. Peyton, W. Yin, and S. Riaz: Ironmaking Steelmaking, 2011, in press.Google Scholar
- 19.X. Ma, A.J. Peyton, S.R. Higson, and P. Drake: Meas. Sci. Tech., 2008, vol. 19, p. 094008.Google Scholar