Electrical Resistivity of Metal Powder Aggregates
- 328 Downloads
An equation for calculating the electrical resistivity of a compressed powder mass, consisting of oxide-coated metal particles, has been derived. In addition to the intrinsic interest of the problem, the proposed equation is useful for describing the very early stages of electrical sintering processes. The problem is approached in a new way, relating the actual powder system to an equivalent system consisting of deforming spheres in a simple cubic packing, which is much easier to examine. The proposed equation was experimentally verified from measurements of the electrical resistivity for aluminum, bronze, iron, and nickel powders under pressure. The consistency between theoretical predictions and experimental results was reasonably good in all cases.
KeywordsElectrical Resistivity Oxide Film Nickel Powder Powder Mass Powder System
The authors are grateful to FEDER/MCyT, Madrid, for funding this research within the framework of Project No. DPI2003–01213.
- 3.J.M. Montes, F.G. Cuevas, J. Cintas, J.A. Rodríguez, and E.J. Herrerra: Trends in Materials Science Research, Nova Publishers, New York, USA, 2005, pp. 157–90Google Scholar
- 4.A.L. Efros: Physics and Geometry of Disorder. Percolation Theory, Moscow, Mir, 1985Google Scholar
- 5.S. Torquato: Interdisciplinary Applied Mathematics, vol. 16, Springer, New York, NY, 2002Google Scholar
- 6.M. Sahimi: Interdisciplinary Applied Mathematics, vol. 22, Springer, New York, NY, 2003Google Scholar
- 10.R.M. German: Particle Packing Characteristics, MPIF, Princeton, NJ, 1989Google Scholar
- 11.MPIF Standard 46, Tap Density of Metal Powders, Determination of, Standard Test Methods for Metal Powders and Powder Metallurgy Products, MPIF, Princeton, NJ, 2002Google Scholar
- 12.W.D. Kingery: Introduction to Ceramics, 2nd ed., John Wiley & Sons, New York, 1976Google Scholar
- 13.N. Tsuda, K. Nasu, A. Fujimori, K. Siratori: Electronic Conduction in Oxides, 2nd ed., Springer-Verlag, New York, NY, 2000Google Scholar
- 16.Smithells Metals Reference Book, 6th ed., E.A. Brandes, ed., Butterworth & Co (Publishers) Ltd., London, 1983Google Scholar
- 17.U.R. Evans: The Corrosion and Oxidation of Metals: First Supplementary Volume, Edward Arnold (Publishers) Ltd., London, 1968Google Scholar