Ferrite Growth During Cooling Through the Ferrite-Austenite-Graphite Field in SGI
- 13 Downloads
This investigation examines the growth of ferrite during the cooling of spheroidal graphite cast irons through the ferrite-austenite-graphite phase field as conditioned by the partitioning of Silicon. Two different melts are examined. Ferrite growth was assumed to take place under paraequilibrium conditions. The study involves the measurement of the temperature of ferrite precipitation start under slow cooling conditions by DSC. Thermo-Calc was used to calculate the equilibrium concentration of Si at the ferrite precipitation start temperature. Calculated Si concentrations are compared to microsegregation profiles measured on the same alloys in a previous study. The results led to conclude that partitioning of Silicon does not represent a constraint for ferrite to grow between the upper and lower limits of the three-phase field, contradicting some of the existing literature.
The authors would like to thank the Sánchez and Piccioni Company for providing their facilities to prepare the melts. Laura N. García, Fernando D. Carazo and Roberto E. Boeri are members of CONICET and would like to thank the institution for the economic support for their respective researches. Laura N. García would like to especially thank the SECITI (Secretaría de Estado de Ciencia, Tecnología e Innovación del Gobierno de San Juan) for supplying the flight tickets and to the INP school for the economic support for her stay at the CIRIMAT laboratory at Toulouse, France. Finally, Laura N. García would like to deeply thank Prof. Jacques Lacaze for transmitting her all his knowledge about Thermo-Calc software and for the enriching discussions of this research.
- 5.J. Lacaze. Metall. Trans. A, 2017, 48A, pp. 1-2.Google Scholar
- 6.F. Carazo. Metall. Trans. A, 2017, 48A, pp. 3-5.Google Scholar
- 7.R. Boeri and F. Weinberg. AFS Trans, 1989, vol 97, pp. 179-184.Google Scholar
- 11.J. Lacaze, C. Wilson and C. Bak. Scand. J. Metall, 1994, vol 23, pp. 151-163.Google Scholar
- 14.L.N. García, F.D. Carazo and P.M. Dardati. Int. J. Cast. Met. Res, 2018, vol 31, pp. 209-221.Google Scholar
- 15.ASTM A536-84(2019)e1, Standard Specification for Ductile Iron Castings, ASTM International, West Conshohocken, PA, 2019. www.astm.org.
- 19.Z. Jiyang. China foundry, 2010, vol 7, pp. 470-478.Google Scholar