Continuous Morphological Transition and Its Mechanism of Al3Ni Phase at the Liquid–Solid Interface During Solidification
- 87 Downloads
The morphological transition and growth mechanism of Al3Ni phase during solidification at the liquid Al/solid Ni interface was investigated through synchrotron radiography. The remelted peritectic Al3Ni is dominated by coalescence of adjacent grains and precipitation with the morphology changing from columnar, irregular, scallop type to faceted shape. The hollow proeutectic Al3Ni is formed on a solid base. The increased r/R ratio and steep variation lead to the change from regular to irregular hollowness with asymmetrical shape.
This work is supported by the National Key Research and Development Program (2017YFA0403800), National Natural Science Foundation of China (51374144, 51727802), Shanghai Municipal Natural Science Foundation (13ZR1420600), and Shanghai Rising-Star Program (14QA1402300). The support of synchrotron radiation phase-contrast imaging by the BL13W1 beam line of SSRF, China, is gratefully acknowledged.
- 5.Z.Y. Ding, Q.D. Hu, W.Q. Lu, X. Ge, S. Cao, S.Y. Sun, T.X. Yang, M.X. Xia, and J.G. Li: J. Mater. Sci. Technol., in press.Google Scholar
- 7.K. Bouché, F. Barbier, and A. Coulet: Z. Metallkd., 1997, vol. 88, pp. 446–51.Google Scholar
- 8.W. Wołczyński, T. Okane, C. Senderowski, B. Kania, D. Zasada, and J. Janczak-Rusch: Arch. Metall. Mater., 2011, vol. 56, pp. 311–23.Google Scholar
- 13.Z.Y. Ding, Q.D. Hu, W.Q. Lu, S.Y. Sun, M.X. Xia, and J.G. Li: Metall. Mater. Trans. A, 2018, vol. 49A, pp. 1486–91.Google Scholar
- 16.D.M. Liu: PhD thesis, Harbin Institute of Technology, 2012.Google Scholar
- 19.W. Kurz and D.J. Fisher: Fundamentals of Solidification, 4th ed., Trans Tech Publications, Aedermannsdorf, Switzerland, 1998.Google Scholar