A Full View of the Interfacial Behavior Between the Liquid Al and Solid Ni by Synchrotron Radiation
- 175 Downloads
Synchrotron X-ray radiography was utilized to in situ study the Ni dissolution during holding and growth behavior of intermetallic compounds (IMCs) during solidification at the liquid Al/solid Ni interface, and synchrotron tomography was used to reconstruct the diversified Al3Ni phases. The dissolution and IMC growth was quantitatively analyzed. During holding, the solid Ni dissolved heterogeneously into liquid Al, and the quantification of Ni concentration was obtained from intensity values. The layered Al3Ni2 formed at the interface during solidification, following by columnar and needle-like Al3Ni. The growth of Al3Ni2 layer followed a parabolic law, being controlled by bulk diffusion mechanism. The peritectic and proeutectic Al3Ni grew along the length obviously at the early stage and coarsened in the late stage. The proeutectic Al3Ni phase had a stronger  orientation than peritectic Al3Ni phase.
This work is supported by the National Key Research and Development Program (2017YFA0403800), National Natural Science Foundation of China (51374144, 51774201), Shanghai Municipal Natural Science Foundation (13ZR1420600), and Shanghai Rising-Star Program (14QA1402300). The support of synchrotron radiation phase-contrast imaging by the BL13W1 beam line of Shanghai Synchrotron Radiation Facility (SSRF), China, is gratefully acknowledged.
- 3.S. Tumminello, and S. Sommadossi: Defect Diffus. Forum, 2012, vol. 323–325, pp. 465–470.Google Scholar
- 5.K. Bouché, F. Barbier, and A. Coulet: Z. Metallkd., 1997, vol. 88, pp. 446-451.Google Scholar
- 23.W. Kurz, and D.J. Fisher: Fundamentals of Solidification, fourth ed. Trans. Tech., Switzerland, 1998.Google Scholar
- 24.D.M. Liu: Ph.D. Thesis, Harbin Institute of Technology, 2012.Google Scholar
- 26.C. Kittel: Introduction to Solid State Physics, fifth ed. John Wiley & Sons, New York, 1976.Google Scholar
- 30.C. Li: Principles of Metallography, Harbin Institute of Technology Press, Harbin, 1988.Google Scholar