Liquidus Projection of the B-Fe-U Diagram: The Fe-Rich Corner
- 226 Downloads
The liquidus projection of the Fe-rich corner of the B-Fe-U phase diagram is proposed based on powder X-ray diffraction measurements, differential thermal analysis, and scanning electron microscopy observations complemented by energy dispersive X-ray spectroscopy. The present work demonstrates the existence of 10 ternary reactions together with 18 monovariant lines and establishes their location and approximate temperatures. The ternary compounds existing in this region of the B-Fe-U ternary phase diagram, UFe3B2, UFe4B, and U2Fe21B6, were confirmed to form by ternary peritectic reactions, yet UFe4B and U2Fe21B6 have minute primary crystallization fields, indicating a more challenging preparation of single crystals for these compounds when compared with UFe3B2.
KeywordsEnergy Dispersive Spectroscopy Differential Thermal Analysis Curve Eutectic Mixture Ternary Diagram Liquidus Projection
This work was partially supported by FCT, Portugal, under the Contract No. PTDC/QUI/65369/2006, and by the international project PICS SCR-ITN 2011-2013.
- 1.V. Sechovsky and L. Havela: Magnetism of Ternary Intermetallic Compounds of Uranium, Prague, Czech Republic, vol. 11, chap. 1, 1998.Google Scholar
- 3.I.P. Valyovka and Yu.B. Kuzma: Dop. Akad. Nauk Ukr. RSR, A: Fiz.-Tekhn. Mat. Nauki, 1975, p. 652.Google Scholar
- 4.I.P. Valyovka and Yu.B. Kuzma: Dop. Akad. Nauk Ukr. RSR, A: Fiz.-Tekhn. Mat. Nauki, 1974, p. 1029.Google Scholar
- 5.M. Dias, P.A. Carvalho, O. Sologub, O. Tougait, H. Noël, C. Godart, E. Leroy, and A.P. Gonçalves: Intermetallics, 2007, vol. 15, p. 413.Google Scholar
- 6.M. Dias, P.A. Carvalho, O. Sologub, L.C.J. Pereira, I.C. Santos, and A.P. Gonçalves: J. Alloy. Compd., 2009, vol. 492 (1–2), pp. L13–L15.Google Scholar
- 7.M. Dias, P.A. Carvalho, M. Bohn, O. Tougait, H. Noël, and A.P. Gonçalves: Metall. Mater. Trans., 2012. DOI: 10.1007/s11661-012-1369-0.
- 8.M. Dias, P.A. Carvalho, A.P. Dias, M. Bohn, N. Franco, O. Tougait, H. Noël, and A.P. Gonçalves: J. Phase Equilibria. Diffus., 2010, vol. 31 (2), p. 104.Google Scholar
- 9.W. Kurz, D.J. Fisher, “Fundamentals of solidification”, 3rd edition, Trans Tech Publications, Enfield, NH, 1992.Google Scholar
- 10.M.E. Glicksman, L.M. Mizenko, M.E. Rettenmayer, S.P. Marsh (1994) Mater. Sci. Eng. A, 178(1–2):137–46.Google Scholar
- 11.L. M. Colucci-Mizenko, M. E. Glicksman, R. N. Smith (1994) J Met 46(1):51-55.Google Scholar
- 12.F.N. Rhines: Phase Diagrams in Metallurgy: Their Development and Application, McGraw-Hill, New York, 1956.Google Scholar
- 13.A. Prince (1966) Alloy Phase Equilibria. Elsevier Pub. Co., Amsterdam.Google Scholar
- 14.T.B. Massalski, H. Okamoto, P.R. Subramanian, and L. Kacprzak, eds.: Binary Alloy Phase Diagrams, 2nd edn., ASM International, Metals Park, OH, 1990.Google Scholar
- 15.H. Okamoto: in Binary Alloy Phase Diagrams Updating Service, H. Okamoto, ed., ASM International, Metals Park, OH, 1991.Google Scholar
- 16.G. Nozle, W. Kraus, Powder Cell for Windows, Version 2.2, Federal Institute for Materials Research and Testing, Berlin, 1999.Google Scholar