Liquid-Metal-Induced Embrittlement of Zn-Coated Hot Stamping Steel
- 1.4k Downloads
Liquid-metal-induced embrittlement (LMIE) of galvanized hot stamping steel occurs due to the simultaneous application of stress and the presence of a liquid Zn surface layer during the hot stamping process. The mechanism specific to the liquid metal induced embrittlement occurring during hot stamping was investigated in detail. It was found that when a tensile stress was applied, liquid Zn could penetrate along grain boundaries in the steel matrix at temperatures above the Liquid + α-Fe (Zn) → Γ1 peritectic transformation temperature of 1055 K (782 °C). The results show that an increase of the annealing time prior to hot stamping is an effective way to prevent LMIE by the elimination of the liquid phase.
KeywordsAustenite Cathodic Protection Galvanize Steel Steel Matrix 22MnB5 Steel
The authors gratefully acknowledge the support of POSCO. The suggestions of Dr. Nai-Yong Tang, Teck Metals, with regard to interpretation of the results reported in the manuscript are greatly appreciated.
- 1.P. Åkerström: Doctoral Thesis, Luleå University of Technology, Luleå, Sweden, 2006.Google Scholar
- 6.J. Aspacher: 1st Int. Conf. on Hot Sheet Metal Forming of High-Performance Steel, Kassel, Germany, 2008, pp. 268–72.Google Scholar
- 7.K. Steinhoff, N. Barbakadze, and M. Schupfer: Proc. GALVATECH 2011 Conf., Genova, Italy, 2011, pp. 319–26.Google Scholar
- 8.K. Steinhoff: 1st Int. Seminar on Hot Sheet Metal Forming of High-Performance Steel, Hanover, Germany, Oct. 28, 2010.Google Scholar
- 9.B.C. De Cooman and J.G. Speer: Fundamentals of Steel Product Physical Metallurgy, 1st ed., AIST, Warrendale, PA, 2011.Google Scholar
- 16.O. Kubascheski: Iron-Binary Phase Diagrams, Springer Verlag, Berlin, 1982, pp. 87–88.Google Scholar
- 20.C.W. Lee, D.W. Fan, S.J. Lee, I.R. Sohn, and B.C. De Cooman: Proc. GALVATECH 2011 Conf., Genova, Italy, 2011, pp. 327–34.Google Scholar
- 22.K. Imai, Y. Yoshikawa, T. Toki, T. Nishibata, K. Uematsu, M. Uchihara, and T. Takayama: SEAISI Q., 2005, vol. 34(3), p. 47.Google Scholar
- 23.J.M. van Genderen, W.C. Verloop, J. Loiseaux, and G.C. Hensen: Proc. 3rd Int. Conf. Hot Sheet Metal Forming of High-Performance Steel, Kassel, Germany, 2011, pp. 145–52.Google Scholar