The Behavior of Precipitates during Hot-Deformation of Low-Manganese, Titanium-Added Pipeline Steels
- 199 Downloads
The behavior of manganese and titanium sulfides during the hot deformation of a low-carbon, low-manganese, titanium-added steel has been studied using transmission electron microscopy (TEM), scanning electron microscopy (SEM), and energy-dispersive spectrometry (EDS) analysis. In addition, the effects of deformation temperature and strain rate on the size and distribution of precipitates have been studied using an automatic inclusion analysis system. Also, the effect of precipitate distribution on mechanical properties was studied at different deformation conditions of temperature and strain rate. The TEM and SEM analyses revealed the presence of a wide variety of simple and/or complex precipitates in the as-cast structure. These precipitates behaved differently during the hot deformation of steel. Precipitates deformed less at higher deformation temperatures, whereas an increase in strain rate increased the elongation of precipitates.
KeywordsAustenite Flow Curve Deformation Temperature Titanium Nitride Manganese Sulfide
This work was conducted as part of an ARC-Linkage Grant LP0669602 with BlueScope Steel as Industrial Partner. We gratefully acknowledge the financial support of the ARC and Bluescope Steel. We also wish to thank the University of Wollongong for the provision of laboratory facilities and the encouragement to conduct this investigation.
- 2.Y. Ito, N. Masumitsu and K. Matsubara: ISIJ Int., 1981, vol. 21, pp. 477-84.Google Scholar
- 3.F. Vodopivec and M. Gabrovsek: Met. Technol., 1980, vol. 7, pp. 186-91.Google Scholar
- 4.R. Kiessling and N. Lange: Non-Metallic Inclusions in Steel, 2nd ed., The Institute of Materials, London, UK, 1997.Google Scholar
- 5.H. Kejian and T.N. Baker: Mater. Sci. Eng., 1993, vol. A169, pp. 53-65.Google Scholar
- 9.J.M. Gray: U.S. Patent 5 993 570, 1999.Google Scholar
- 10.J.G. Williams: 3rd Int. Conf. TMP, Associazione Italiana Di Metallurgia, 2008.Google Scholar
- 15.A. Segal and J.A. Charles: Met. Technol., 1977, vol. 4, pp. 177-82.Google Scholar
- 16.A. Dehghan-Manshadi, M.R. Barnett, and P.D. Hodgson: Mater. Sci. Eng. A, 2008, vol. 458, pp. 664-72.Google Scholar