Microstructure Size Control through Cooling Rate in Thermoelectric PbTe-Sb2Te3 Composites
- 221 Downloads
Microstructures of alloys with three compositions in the pseudobinary PbTe-Sb2Te3 system cast in copper molds using the injection molding technique were examined by scanning electron microscopy (SEM), energy-dispersive spectrometry, and X-ray diffraction (XRD). The microstructural length scales such as interlamellar spacing (ILS) and secondary dendrite arm spacing vary over two orders of magnitude, e.g., from 0.2 to 20 μm for SDAS in the hypereutectic alloy, depending on injection pressure, distance from surface, or thickness. The decrease in the microstructural length scale with the decrease in distance from the surface, thickness, and increase in injection pressure is attributed to an increase in the cooling rates estimated using the heat-transfer theory in solids. The difference in the injection pressures is represented as the difference in the heat-transfer coefficients.
KeywordsCool Rate Injection Pressure PbTe Lattice Thermal Conductivity Sb2Te3
This work was partly funded by the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) through the Jet Propulsion Laboratory (Pasadena, CA) and the Precursory Research for Embryonic Science and Technology (PRESTO) program of the Japan Science and Technology Agency (Tokyo).
- 5.G. Chen: 9th Intersoc. Conf. on Thermal and Thermomechanical Phenomena In Electronic Systems, IEEE Cat. No. 04CH37543, 2004, p. 8.Google Scholar
- 7.D.L. Medlin and G.J. Snyder: Curr. Opin. Coll. Int. Sci., 2009, vol. 14 (4), pp. 226–35.Google Scholar
- 12.T. Ikeda, E.S. Toberer, V.A. Ravi, S.M. Haile, and G.J. Snyder: 26th Int. Conf. on Thermoelectrics, 2007.Google Scholar
- 13.N.K. Abrikosov, E.I. Elagina, and M.A. Popova: Inorg. Mater., 1965, vol. 1, pp. 1944–46.Google Scholar
- 14.T. Ikeda, V.A. Ravi, and G.J. Snyder: unpublished research.Google Scholar
- 15.P.E.J. Flewitt and R.K. Wild: Physical Methods for Materials Characterization, Institute of Physics Publishing, Bristol, United Kingdom, 1994, p. 283.Google Scholar
- 17.H.S. Carslaw, and J.C. Jaeger: Conduction of Heat in Solids, Clarendon, Oxford, United Kingdom, 1959, p. 122.Google Scholar
- 18.D.R. Poirier and E.J. Poirier: Heat Transfer Fundamentals, 1992, TMS, Warrendale, PA, p. 40.Google Scholar
- 19.E. Niiyama: Chuuzou Dennetsu Kougaku, Agne Gijutu Center, 2001, p. 210.Google Scholar
- 21.B. Chalmers: Principle of Solidification, 1964, Wiley, New York, NY.Google Scholar