Density and solidification shrinkage of hypoeutectic aluminum-silicon alloys
The density of liquid and solid hypoeutectic aluminum-silicon alloys has been measured with high accuracy in the temperature range 400 °C to 800 °C by using the indirect Archimedian method. A eutectic mixture of KCl and LiCl salts was used as reference liquid. This method allowed measurements of density for both liquid and solid in the same experiment and thus reduced the systematic error in estimating the solidification shrinkage. The results show that the density of liquid aluminum-silicon alloy increases with increasing silicon content, while silicon reduces the density in the solid state. Silicon content reduces the solidification shrinkage from 6.6 pct for pure aluminum to 4.4 pct for Al-11.6 pct Si.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Aluminum: Properties and Physical Metallurgy, John E. Hatch, ed., ASM, Metals Park, OH, 1984.Google Scholar
- 2.P. Rousset, M. Rappaz, and B. Hannart: Metall. Trans. A, 1995, vol. 26A, pp. 2349–58.Google Scholar
- 3.H. Combeau, D. Carpentier, J. Lacaze, and G. Lesoult: Mater. Sci. Eng., 1993, vol. A173, pp. 155–59.Google Scholar
- 4.A. Ahmed, D. Apelian, A.K. Dahle, and L. Arnberg: Light Metals 1996, W. Hale, ed., TMS, Warrendale, PA, 1996, pp. 879–87.Google Scholar
- 5.Louis-Didier Lucas: in Physiochemical Measurements in Metals Research, vol. 4, Techniques of Metals Research, Robert A. Rapp, ed., Interscience, New York, NY, 1970, pp. 219–92.Google Scholar
- 6.J.L. White: in Physicochemical Measurements at High Temperatures, J. O’M Bockris, J.L. White, and J.D. Mackenzie, eds., Butterworth Scientific Publications, London, 1959, pp. 193–207.Google Scholar
- 7.J.D. Edwards and T.A. Moormann: Z. Metallkd., 1921, vol. 13, pp. 384–86.Google Scholar
- 8.Junius David Edwards and T.A. Moormann: Met. Chem. Eng., 1921, vol. 24, pp. 61–64.Google Scholar
- 9.E. Gebhardt, M. Becker, and S. Dorner: Aluminium, 1955, vol. 31, pp. 315–21.Google Scholar
- 10.William J. Coy and Richard S. Mateer: Trans. ASM, 1965, vol. 58, pp. 99–102.Google Scholar
- 12.Eric A. Brandes, editor. Smithells Metals Reference Book, 6th ed., Butterworth & Co, 1983, pp. 9–12.Google Scholar