The 2018 Guidelines for the diagnosis and treatment of osteoporosis in Greece
- 26 Downloads
We report the updated guidelines for the management of osteoporosis in Greece, which include guidance on fracture risk assessment, diagnosis-pharmacological treatment-follow-up of osteoporosis based on updated information, and national evidence from Greek clinical practice and the healthcare setting.
The purpose of this report was to update the Guidelines for the Management of Osteoporosis in Greece that was published in 2011.
In line with the GRADE system, the working group initially defined the main clinical questions that should be addressed when dealing with the diagnosis and management of osteoporosis in clinical practice in Greece. Following a literature review and discussion on the experience gained from the implementation of the 2011 Guidelines transmitted through the national electronic prescription network, the Hellenic Society for the Study of Bone Metabolism (HSSBM) uploaded an initial draft for an open dialogue with the relevant registered medical societies and associations on the electronic platform of the Greek Ministry of Health. After revisions, the Central Health Council approved the final document.
The 2018 Guidelines provide comprehensive recommendations on the issues of the timing of fracture risk evaluation and dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry (DXA) measurement, interpretation of the DXA results, the diagnostic work-up for osteoporosis, the timing as well as the suggested medications for osteoporosis treatment, and the follow-up methodology employed during osteoporosis treatment.
These updated guidelines were designed to offer valid guidance on fracture risk assessment, diagnosis-pharmacological treatment-follow-up of osteoporosis based on updated information and national evidence from clinical practice and the healthcare setting. Clinical judgment is essential in the management of every individual patient for the purpose of achieving the optimal outcome in the safest possible way.
KeywordsOsteoporosis Treatment Guidelines Greece FRAX
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
-PM has received lecture fees and research grants from Amgen and lecture fees from Glaxo, Eli-Lilly, Pfizer, Leo, Genesis, ELPEN, VIANEX, Rafarm, Galenica, and UniPharma.
-ADA has received lecture fees from Amgen, Eli-Lilly, ELPEN, ITF Hellas, Rafarm, and VIANEX.
-GA has nothing to disclose.
-EC has received lecture and/or advisory board fees from Eli-Lilly and Vianex.
-EGK has received lecture and/or advisory board fees or research grants from Amgen, ELPEN, MSD, Novartis, UCB, Vianex, and Inovis.
-AM has received lecture fees from Merck Sharp & Dohme, UCB, Eli-Lilly, Novartis, Roche, Amgen, Angelini, Janssen-Cilag, and Genesis.
-DKP has received lecture and/or advisory board fees from Abbvie, AENORASIS, Amgen, Eli-Lilly, Galenica, Genesis, Menarini Hellas, MSD, Novartis, Pfizer, Rafarm, Sandoz, UCB, and Vianex.
-KDS has received lecture fees and advisory board fees from Amgen Hellas and honoraria and lecture fees from Pharmaserve Lilly, Specifar a Teva, and VIANEX.
-ST has received lecture and/or advisory board fees from Amgen, Lilly, Vianex, ITF Hellas, Merck Biopharma Greece, Galenica, and Shire Hellas.
-GT has received lecture and advisory board fees from Farmaserv-Lilly, Amgen Hellas, Servier, Vianex, ITF Hellas, Merck Hellas, Astra Zeneca, GSK, and Valeant Bausch Health.
-CK has received lecture and/or advisory board fees from Amgen, Eli-Lilly, and VIANEX, and lecture fees from Galenica.
- 3.Hernlund E, Svedbom A, Ivergard M, Compston J, Cooper C, Stenmark J, McCloskey EV, Jonsson B, Kanis JA (2013) Osteoporosis in the European Union: medical management, epidemiology and economic burden. A report prepared in collaboration with the international Osteoporosis Foundation (IOF) and the European Federation of Pharmaceutical Industry Associations (EFPIA). Arch Osteoporos 8:136CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 5.Kanis JA, Cooper C, Rizzoli R, Reginster JY, Scientific Advisory Board of the European Society for C, Economic Aspects of O, the Committees of Scientific A, National Societies of the International Osteoporosis F (2018) European guidance for the diagnosis and management of osteoporosis in postmenopausal women. Osteoporos Int. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00198-018-4744-x
- 6.Papaioannou A, Morin S, Cheung AM, Atkinson S, Brown JP, Feldman S, Hanley DA, Hodsman A, Jamal SA, Kaiser SM, Kvern B, Siminoski K, Leslie WD, for the Scientific Advisory Council of Osteoporosis Canada (2010) 2010 Clinical practice guidelines for the diagnosis and management of osteoporosis in Canada: summary. CMAJ 182:1864–1873CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 15.Lewiecki EM, Gordon CM, Baim S, Leonard MB, Bishop NJ, Bianchi ML, Kalkwarf HJ, Langman CB, Plotkin H, Rauch F, Zemel BS, Binkley N, Bilezikian JP, Kendler DL, Hans DB, Silverman S (2008) International Society for Clinical Densitometry 2007 Adult and Pediatric Official Positions. Bone 43:1115–1121CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 16.Silverberg SJ, Clarke BL, Peacock M, Bandeira F, Boutroy S, Cusano NE, Dempster D, Lewiecki EM, Liu JM, Minisola S, Rejnmark L, Silva BC, Walker MD, Bilezikian JP (2014) Current issues in the presentation of asymptomatic primary hyperparathyroidism: proceedings of the Fourth International Workshop. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 99:3580–3594CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 18.Genant HK, Cooper C, Poor G, Reid I, Ehrlich G, Kanis J, Nordin BEC, Barrett-Connor E, Black D, Bonjour JP, Dawson-Hughes B, Delmas PD, Dequeker J, Eis SR, Gennari C, Johnell O, Johnston Jr CC, Lau EMC, Liberman UA, Lindsay R, Martin TJ, Masri B, Mautalen CA, Meunier PJ, Miller PD, Mithal A, Morii H, Papapoulos S, Woolf A, Yu W, Khaltaev N (1999) Interim report and recommendations of the World Health Organization Task-Force for Osteoporosis. Osteoporos Int 10:259–264CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 19.The International Society for Clinical Densitometry (2015) Official Positions of the International Society for Clinical Densitometry. www.iscd.org. Last access 15 Dec 2018
- 20.Ferrari S, Bianchi ML, Eisman JA, Foldes AJ, Adami S, Wahl DA, Stepan JJ, de Vernejoul MC, Kaufman JM, IOF Committee of Scientific Advisors Working Group on Osteoporosis Pathophysiology (2012) Osteoporosis in young adults: pathophysiology, diagnosis, and management. Osteoporos Int 23:2735–2748CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 22.Rizzoli R, Boonen S, Brandi ML, Bruyere O, Cooper C, Kanis JA, Kaufman JM, Ringe JD, Weryha G, Reginster JY (2013) Vitamin D supplementation in elderly or postmenopausal women: a 2013 update of the 2008 recommendations from the European Society for Clinical and Economic Aspects of Osteoporosis and Osteoarthritis (ESCEO). Curr Med Res Opin 29:305–313CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 27.Cranney A, Wells GA, Yetisir E, Adami S, Cooper C, Delmas PD, Miller PD, Papapoulos S, Reginster JY, Sambrook PN, Silverman S, Siris E, Adachi JD (2009) Ibandronate for the prevention of nonvertebral fractures: a pooled analysis of individual patient data. Osteoporos Int 20:291–297CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 28.Silverman SL, Christiansen C, Genant HK, Vukicevic S, Zanchetta JR, de Villiers TJ, Constantine GD, Chines AA (2008) Efficacy of bazedoxifene in reducing new vertebral fracture risk in postmenopausal women with osteoporosis: results from a 3-year, randomized, placebo-, and active-controlled clinical trial. J Bone Miner Res 23:1923–1934CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 33.Martino S, Cauley JA, Barrett-Connor E, Powles TJ, Mershon J, Disch D, Secrest RJ, Cummings SR, Investigators C (2004) Continuing outcomes relevant to Evista: breast cancer incidence in postmenopausal osteoporotic women in a randomized trial of raloxifene. J Natl Cancer Inst 96:1751–1761CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 34.European Medicines Agency (2013) Questions and answers on the review of calcitonin-containing medicines. EMA/731082/2012 Rev.1, EMEA/H/A-31/1291Google Scholar
- 35.Napoli N, Langdahl BL, Ljunggren O et al (2018) Effects of teriparatide in patients with osteoporosis in clinical practice: 42-month results during and after discontinuation of treatment from the European Extended Forsteo® Observational Study (ExFOS). Calcif Tissue Int. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00223-018-0437-x
- 41.Cummings SR, Ferrari S, Eastell R, Gilchrist N, Jensen JEB, McClung M, Roux C, Törring O, Valter I, Wang AT, Brown JP (2018) Vertebral fractures after discontinuation of denosumab: a post hoc analysis of the randomized placebo-controlled FREEDOM trial and its extension. J Bone Miner Res 33:190–198CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 44.Miller PD, Pannacciulli N, Brown JP, Czerwinski E, Nedergaard BS, Bolognese MA, Malouf J, Bone HG, Reginster JY, Singer A, Wang C, Wagman RB, Cummings SR (2016) Denosumab or zoledronic acid in postmenopausal women with osteoporosis previously treated with Oral bisphosphonates. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 101:3163–3170CrossRefGoogle Scholar