San-Ao Decoction (三拗汤) Regulates Urine Volume on Bronchial Asthma Model Mice
- 26 Downloads
To observe the effect of San-Ao Decoction (三拗汤, SAD) on water metabolism of bronchial asthra model mice.
Forty-five female BALB/c mice were randomly divided into control, model and SAD groups by a random number table, 15 mice in each group. A composite method with ovalbumin (OVA) sensitization and challenge was developed to establish bronchial asthma model. Mice in the control group were intraperitoneally injected with distilled water without aerosol inhalation challenge. On day 15–22, 0.3 mL SAD was administered via gastric route in SAD group, one time per day, while an equivalent volume of normal saline was used for gastric administration in the control and model groups. Changes in airway resistance in the inspiratory phase (RI-R-Area) were detected using an AniRes2005 system, and 5-h urine output was collected by metabolic cages. Histopathological changes in lung and kidney were observed by hematoxylin-eosin staining. mRNA expressions of aquaporin (AQP) 1 and AQP2 in kidney were detected by reverse transcription-polymerase chain reaction, and the protein expressions of AQP1 and AQP2 in kidney were detected by immunohistochemistry. Enzyme-linked immune sorbent assay was used to detect the OVA-specific endothelium-1 (ET-1), antidiuretic hormone (ADH), atrial natriuretic peptide (ANP), prostaglandin E2 (PGE2), and angiotensin II (Ang II) levels in serum, lung and kidney tissues, respectively. The nitric oxide (NO) contents in serum, lung, and kidney tissues were tested by chemical method, respectively.
Compared with the control group, the serum IgE level in model group increased (P<0.01). Following the pathologic changes in lung tissue, no significant change in kidney tissue was observed among 3 groups. Compared with the control group, the mice in the model group showed elevated airway resistance during inhalation phase, higher mRNA and protein expression levels on AQP1 and AQP2 in kidney tissue and higher ET-1 levels in serum, lung and kidney tissues, ADH and ANP in lung and serum, PGE2 in kidney, Ang II in lung and kidney tissues (P<0.05 or P<0.01), but decreased in 5-h urinary output as well as NO and PGE2 contents in serum and lung tissues (P<0.05 or P<0.01). Compared with the model group, the mice in the SAD group showed a weakened airway resistance in inspiratory phase, lower mRNA and protein expressions of AQP1 and AQP2 in kidney tissues, lower levels of ET-1, ADH, ANP in serum as well as ET-1, ANP, Ang II levels in kidney tissues (P<0.05 or P<0.01), whereas 5-h urinary output, NO content in kidney, ADH, ANP and PGE2 levels in lung and Ang II in serum increased (P<0.05 or P<0.01).
San-Ao Decoction can regulate the urine volume through regulating AQP1 and AQP2 expression, and the expression of these in the kidneys might be regulated by ET-1, NO and Ang II.
Keywordsregulation of fluid passage urine volume aquaporin San-Ao Decoction bronchial asthma
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Global initiative for asthma. Global strategy for asthma management and prevention, 2017. http://ginasthma. org/2017-gina-report-global-strategy-for-asthmamanagement-and-prevention/. Accessed February 9, 2018.Google Scholar
- 4.Yin T, Guan SH, Chen FJ, Zhuang YF, Hu X. Changes of serum brain natriuretic peptide in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Chin Med Engin (Chin) 2011;19:42–43.Google Scholar
- 5.Chinese eGFR Investigation Collaboration. Modification and evaluation of MDRD estimating equation for Chinese patients with chronic kidney disease. Chin J Nephrol (Chin) 2006;10:589–595.Google Scholar
- 6.Jiang ZJ. Acute asthma and secretion of antidiuretic hormone. Foreig Med Sci Sec Resp Sys (Chin) 1984;3:151–152.Google Scholar
- 7.Zhang J, Lei JR, Luo GS, Liu XJ, Wu SJ, Zhou R, et al. Polyuria in patients with COPD during mechanical ventilation and its possible mechanism. Chin J Resp Critic Care Med (Chin) 2009;8:551–554.Google Scholar
- 8.Sun XH, Luo ZQ, Non-respiratory functions of lung basic and clinical. Beijing: People's Medical Publishing House; 2003:56–218.Google Scholar
- 9.Tong HJ, Xu HQ. Research progress on the mechanism of Sanaotang in treating bronchial asthma. J Liaoning Univ Tradit Chin Med (Chin) 2008;10:45–47.Google Scholar
- 10.Zhang JC. Effects of respiratory function changes on urine volume in COPD rats [dissertation]. Beijing: Beijing University of Chinese Medicine, 2016.Google Scholar
- 11.Xia K, Hu XY. Discussion on the treatment of ascites due to cirrhosis by using Tihu Jiegai. J Sichuan Tradit Chin Med (Chin) 2016;34:36–37.Google Scholar
- 12.Wang BM. Treatment of 30 cases of postpartum urinary retention by using Tihu Jiegai. Pract Clin J Integr Tradit Chin West Med (Chin) 2011;11:74.Google Scholar
- 13.Zhao B, Li HS, Wang B, Mo XW, Ma HF. Lift pot of peel method in treatment of prostate hyperplasia. Chin J Hum Sex (Chin) 2014;23:79–80.Google Scholar
- 14.Yang FG. Platycodongr and iflorum, almond and Tihu Jiegai. Jiangxi J Tradit Chin Med (Chin) 2014;45:3–4.Google Scholar
- 15.Chinese Pharmacopoeia Commission. Pharmacopoeia of the People's Republic of China. Beijing: China Medical Science Press; 2010:80, 187, 300.Google Scholar
- 16.Zheng FJ, Li YH, Xu H, Sun Y, Gao YS, Wang Y, et al. Effect of Tongfu-therapy on VIP, TFF3, NKA in lung and intestine of mice with ashma. Chin J Tradit Chin Med Pharm (Chin) 2012;27:2023–2027.Google Scholar
- 18.Gao YS, Liu M, Zhang SJ, Zheng FJ, Xu H, Wang Q, et al. The application of animal model in the research of classic TCM formula. World Chin Med (Chin) 2015;10:13–21.Google Scholar
- 19.Liu J, Zheng J, Yu T. Progress and evaluation of research on models of allergic asthma. Chin J Comp Med (Chin) 2011;2:65–68.Google Scholar
- 20.Yan GH, Jin GY, Piao HM, Zheng MY, Li LC, Li GZ. Effects of rapamycin on airway remodeling in asthmatic mice. Chin Pharm Bull (Chin) 2013;29:942–946.Google Scholar
- 26.Cao CS, Yin Q, Huang L, Zhan Z, Yang JB, Xiong HW. Effect of angiotensin on the expression of aquaporin 1 in lung of rats following acute lung injury. Chin Crit Care Med (Chin) 2010;22:426–429.Google Scholar
- 27.Cong PW, Shang B, Wang Z, Qu J, Wang DS. Water metabolism correlation study of lung and kidney tissues in lung-qi deficiency model rats. Liaoning J Trad Chin Med (Chin) 2012;39:357–359.Google Scholar
- 28.Wang Z, Tai SC, Li SL, Zhao JR, Wang DS. Experimental study of lung and kidney aquaporin 2 expression in lungqi deficiency model rats. Chin Arch Tradit Chin Med (Chin) 2007;25:1846–1848.Google Scholar
- 29.Long CY, Zhou JH. Recent progress on aquaporins in treatment for brain edema. Med Recap (Chin) 2011;22:1704–1707.Google Scholar