Development of Improved Version of Quality of Life Assessment Instrument for Lung Cancer Patients Based on Traditional Chinese Medicine (QLASTCM-Lu)
- 19 Downloads
To develop an improved version of the Quality-of-Life Assessment instrument for Lung Cancer Patients Based on Traditional Chinese Medicine (QLASTCM-Lu) and to evaluate its psychometric property.
The structured group method and the theory in developing rating scale were employed to revise the preliminary scale. The psychometric property (reliability, validity, and responsiveness) of the established QLASTCM-Lu (modified) were evaluated by quality of life data measured in 100 lung cancer patients. Statistical analyses were made accordingly by way of correlation analysis, factor analysis and paired t-test.
The internal consistency reliability of the overall scale and all domains was from 0.80 to 0.94. Correlation and factor analyses demonstrated that the scale was good in construct validity. The criterion validity was formed with European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer-Quality of Life Questionnaire-Lung Cancer (EORTC QLQ-LC43) as the criterion. Statistically significant changes were found apart from such domain as "mental condition" and "social function", with the standardized response means being close to those of QLQ-LC43.
QLASTCM-Lu (modified) could be used to measure the quality of life of lung cancer patients with good reliability, validity and a certain degree of responsiveness.
Keywordslung cancer quality of life Chinese medicine scale European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
Wang TT and You J designed the research and coordinated data collection. Wang TT and Chu L collected data, did data analysis and wrote the original text. He LY made the data analysis. Zhang M, Wang SM, Zhao AG, Chu L, Zhang LY and You SF collected the data. You J participated in drafting and editing. All authors read and approved the final manuscript.
- 6.Wan CH, Zheng PY, You SF, Hua YQ, Yang Z, Lu JG, et al. Development of general module of quality of life assessment system for cancer patients based on traditional Chinese medicine theory: conceptual framework and item selection. Chin General Pract (Chin) 2012;15(1A):37–40.Google Scholar
- 8.Garland SN, Pelletier G, Lawe A, Biagioni BJ, Easaw J, Eliasziw M, et al. Prospective evaluation of the reliability, validity and minimally important difference of the functional assessment of cancer therapy-gastric (FACT-Ga) qualityof-life instrument. Cancer 2011;117:1302–1312.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 9.Zhang KL, Si WT, Shao HM. The application of traditional Chinese medicine on the tumor chemotherapy adverse reactions. J Emerg Tradit Chin Med (Chin) 2015;24:1212–1214.Google Scholar
- 10.Cheng HB, Yao ZH, Li L, Shen ZJ, Shen WX. Discussion on academic thought of traditional Chinese medicine about "survival with tumor". Lishizhen Med Mater Med Res (Chin) 2016;27:1436–1437.Google Scholar
- 11.Wang X, You J. Treating cancer-related fatigue after chemotherapy in lung cancer patients by Yiqi Jianpi Recipe: a clinical study. Chin J Integr Med 2015;35:1069–1073.Google Scholar
- 12.Wan CH, Luo JH, Yang Z, Meng Q, eds. Measurements and applications of quality of life in patients with cancers. Beijing: Science Press: 2007:32.Google Scholar
- 13.Wan CH, Zheng PY, Hua YQ, Yang Z, Lu JG, Song Y, et al. Development of general module of quality of life assessment system for cancer based on traditional Chinese medicine: psychometric properties. Chin General Pract (Chin) 2012;15:390–393.Google Scholar
- 14.Yu CH, Sun YN, He LY, Liu BY. Comparative study of criteria on quality of questionnaire development and psychometric property evaluation. Modern Tradit Chin Med Mater World Sci Technol (Chin) 2015;17:1127–1135.Google Scholar
- 16.Yang Z, Lu JG, You SF, Hua YQ, Wan CH, Zheng PY, et al. Development of the quality of life assessment system for cancer based on traditional Chinese medicine— lung cancer (QLASTCM-Lu). Modern Prev Med (Chin) 2011;38:3636–3639,3645.Google Scholar
- 17.Yang Z, Lu JG, Hua YQ, You SF, Wan CH, Zheng PY, et al. Development of quality of life assessment instrument for gastric cancer patients (QLASTCM-Ga) based on traditional Chinese medicine. Chin J Public Health (Chin) 2013;29:960–964.Google Scholar
- 18.Wang CH, YU YL, Tan JF, eds. Introductions on quality of life research—measurements, assessments, improvements. Beijing: Science Press; 2016:3.Google Scholar
- 19.Kong XL, Xu TH, Hu SY, Liu H, Wang HW, Li ZY, et al. Evaluation of reliability, validity and responsiveness of clinical efficacy scale of traditional Chinese medicine syndromes of infantile anorexia (feeding disorder). J Tradit Chin Med (Chin) 2015,56:753–758.Google Scholar