Preventive Effect and Mechanism of Ethyl Acetate Extract of Sceptridium ternatum in Monocrotaline-Induced Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension
- 10 Downloads
To observe the effect and molecular mechanism of ethyl acetate extract of Sceptridium ternatum (STE) on the monocrotaline (MCT)-induced pulmonary arterial hypertension (PAH).
The main chemical components of Sceptridium ternatum were determined, and the effects in PAH rats were observed. A total of 140 Sprague Dawley rats were randomly and equally divided into the normal group, the model group, the Bosentan group, and the STE groups (2.5, 5, 10 g/kg) by the random number table method. The characteristic indicators of PAH were measured, and immunohistochemistry was used to observe the lung tissue of rats. Morphological changes of the lung tissue were observed under the light microscope.
Compared with the normal group, rats in the model group showed a signififi cant increase in right ventricular free wall thickness (RVFWT), mean pulmonary arterial pressure (mPAP), mean right ventricular pressure (mRVP), max right ventricular pressure (max RVP), weight of right ventricle (RV), and lung index (LI), while a signififi cant decrease in pulmonary artery acceleration time (PAAT, P<0.01). Compared with the model group, rats treated with STE had a signififi cant decrease of RVFWT, mPAP, mRVP, max RVP, and RV, while a signififi cant increase of PAAT (P<0.01). After injection of MCT, nuclear factor-κB (NF-κB) p65 and α-smooth muscle actin (α-SMA) expression levels were up-regulated, and on the contrary, the treatment groups showed a significant downregulation without dose-dependent trend.
STE can relieve the PAH in rats. STE may relieve pulmonary vascular disease and pulmonary injury by down-regulating the expression of NF-κB p65 and α-SMA.
Keywordspulmonary arterial hypertension ethyl acetate extract of Sceptridium ternatum mechanism Chinese medicine
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Yang SY, Luo XH, Feng EZ, Qi YS, Liu RN, Yin H, et al. Analysis of prognostic risk factors in the patients with acute exacerbation of chronic cor pulmonale and obstructive sleep apnea-hypopnea syndrome in high altitude area. Chin Crit Care Med (Chin) 2010;22:271–274.Google Scholar
- 4.Lu HM, Liang XL, Zhang C, Liu Y. Effect of combination of sildenafil and beraprost or atorvastin on pulmonary arterial hypertension. Chin J Mod Appl Pharm (Chin) 2012;29:1134–1136.Google Scholar
- 5.Ying Y, Huang P, Yang B. Experimental research progress of traditional Chinese medicine treatment of pulmonary heart disease. Zhejiang J Integr Tradit West Med (Chin) 2013;23:75–78.Google Scholar
- 6.Ruan JS. Recent progress on research of Sceptridium ternatum and components. J China Pharm Univ (Chin) 2002;33(Suppl):328–329.Google Scholar
- 7.Zhuan J, Ruan JS. Study on the effect of Sceptridium ternatum pill on immune function of mice. Fujian J Tradit Chin Med (Chin) 2007;38(3):40–41.Google Scholar
- 8.Wang SM, Ruan JS. Inhibition of Sceptridium ternatum on mouseskin papilloma. Chin Med Mat (Chin) 2008;31:418–420.Google Scholar
- 11.Xiao G, Luo DY, Liu YH. Non small cell lung cancer quality into fiber cells of a-SMA expression and significance. Jiangxi Pharm (Chin) 2010;45:207–209.Google Scholar
- 12.Dan LY, Li SH, Zhang HB. Monocrotaline on rat pulmonary artery a-SMA antigen had low expression and factor ? antigen expression. Herald Med (Chin) 2010;29:415.Google Scholar
- 13.DiStefano A, Caramori G, Oates T. Inereased expression of nuclear factor-kappa B in bronchial biopsies from smokers and palienis with COPD. Eur 2003,361(9368):1533–1544.Google Scholar
- 17.Ao QL, Xiong M, Hao CR. Hypoxia of NF-?B and p53 in rat pulmonary artery smooth muscle cell proliferation and apoptosis change. J Huazhong Univ Sci Tech (Med Sci, Chin) 2002;31:4–6.Google Scholar
- 19.Cheng DY, Guan J, Xia XQ, Zhang Y, Su QL. The changes of nuclear factor kappa B expression in lung tissue of hypoxic pulmonary hypertension rats. J Sichuan Univ (Med Sc, Chin) 2006;37:611–613.Google Scholar