Shenqi Fuzheng Injection (参芪扶正注射液) for advanced gastric cancer: A systematic review of randomized controlled trials
- 196 Downloads
To evaluate the effectiveness of Shenqi Fuzheng Injection (参芪扶正注射液, SFI) combined with chemotherapy for advanced gastric cancer.
Randomized controlled trials (RCTs) from 10 databases were searched for this meta-analysis till December 31, 2012 without language restriction. Grey literature and potential unpublished literature was also searched. The key search terms were “chemotherapy”, “Shenqi Fuzheng Injection” and “advanced gastric cancer”. Criteria were built to select these clinical trials, in which SFI combined with chemotherapy was compared with chemotherapy alone for advanced gastric cancer. The methodological quality of each RCT was assessed using the Cochrane risk of bias tool. RevMan 5.1 software was applied for data analyses.
Thirteen RCTs involving 860 patients met the selection criteria (all articles were from Chinese databases). The meta-analysis showed positive results for the use of SFI combined with chemotherapy according to quality of life in terms of the scores when compared with chemotherapy alone. Positive results were also obtained for the combination treatment, in terms of complete remission and partial remission efficacy rate, body weight and decreased adverse events including nausea and vomiting at grade 3–4, oral mucositis at grade 1–2, leucopenia at grade 3–4, and myelo-suppression at grade 1–2.
This systematic review found encouraging albeit limited evidence for SFI combined with chemotherapy. However, to obtain stronger evidence without the drawbacks of trial design and the quality of studies, we recommend comparative effectiveness researches to test the effectiveness of combination treatment.
Keywordschemotherapy Shenqi Fuzheng Injection advanced gastric cancer Chinese medicine systematic review randomized controlled trial
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 10.Acupuncture stimulated healing. http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/art/2009/10/153_38654.html
- 11.Dharmananda S. Kampo medicine: the practice of Chinese herbal medicine in Japan. Portland, OR: Institute for Traditional Medicine; 2001.Google Scholar
- 15.Lu Y, Lu YX. Clinical application and pharmacology function of Shenqi Fuzheng Injection. Lishizhen Med Mater Med Res (Chin) 2006;17:2083–2085.Google Scholar
- 16.Sheng S, Song M. The component analysis of Shengqi Fuzheng Injection. J China Prescript Drug (Chin) 2004;8:47–49.Google Scholar
- 17.Pan L. Practical road of “the numeral turn Chinese herbal medicine” for Shenqi Fuzheng Injection. J China Prescript Drug (Chin) 2009;1:37–39.Google Scholar
- 18.Zhong ZH. Dictate history: a national new medicine that come from experiential prescription. J China Prescript Drug (Chin) 2009;1:33–36.Google Scholar
- 21.National Cancer Institute. Common terminology criteria for adverse events and common toxicity criteria. Version 4.0. Bethesda: NCI; 2010. http://ctep.cancer.gov/protocolDevelopment/electronicapplications/ctc.htm#ctc_40.Google Scholar
- 29.Fang XY. Observation of efficacy of Shenqi Fuzheng Injection combined with FOLFOX4 chemotherapy in treatment of advanced gastric cancer. Chin J Pract Med (Chin) 2010;37:23–24.Google Scholar
- 30.Jia JW, Liu YQ. Effect of Shenqi Fuzheng Injection combined with FOLFOX4 regimen in the treatment of advanced gastric cancer. Pract J Cancer (Chin) 2009;24:273–275.Google Scholar
- 31.Li ZY, Huang QH, Xu HS, Ruan XF. The efficacy of Shenqi Fuzheng Injection combined with chemotherapy in gastric cancer. J Liaoning Univ Tradit Chin Med (Chin) 2006;8:26–27.Google Scholar
- 32.Liu H, Han D. Effects of Shenqi Fuzheng Injection on the immunolologic function and clinic efficacy in the elderly patients with advanced gastric cancer. Chin J Clin Pharmacol (Chin) 2011;27:177–183.Google Scholar
- 33.Luo PF. The efficacy of Shenqi Fuzheng Injection combination chemotherapy for advanced gastric cancer. Modern Med Health (Chin) 2011;27:1170–1171.Google Scholar
- 34.Wan LX, Wang Y. Shenqi Fuzheng Injectiong combined with FOLFOX4 for advanced gastric cancer. J Med Forum (Chin) 2006;27:96–97.Google Scholar
- 35.Wang JF. Shenqi Fuzheng Injection combined chemoradiotherapy treatment of locally advanced gastric cancer. Chin Med Sci Technol (Chin) 2010;17:537–538.Google Scholar
- 36.Wang M, Lin HJ. Efficacy observation of Shenqi Fuzheng Injection combined with FOLFOX4 chemotherapy in treatment of advanced gastric cancer. Drugs Clin (Chin) 2011;18:89–90.Google Scholar
- 37.Wang YS, Shi ZX, Guo YH. Shenqi Fuzheng Injection combination chemotherapy for elderly patients with advanced gastric cancer. Med J West Chin (Chin) 2011;23:1958–1959.Google Scholar
- 38.Xiong W. The efficacy Shenqi Fuzheng Injection with DCF chemotherapy in advanced gastric cancer. Guangming Chin Med (Chin) 2010;25:635–636.Google Scholar
- 39.Yue CL. Clinical observation of chemotherapy combined with Shenqi Fuzheng Injection treating gastric cancer. Chin New Med (Chin) 2003;4:1063–1064.Google Scholar
- 40.Zhao JM, Wu AZ, Shi LR, Yang XX, Li JH, Wu CP. Clinical observation on treatment of advanced gastric cancer by combined use of Shenqi Fuzheng Injection, docetaxel, flurouracil and calcium folinate. Chin J Integr Tradit West Med (Chin) 2007;27:736–738.Google Scholar
- 41.Zhou KX, Wang JH, Liu BK, Zhou CY, Xin M, Zhi JL, et al. Clinical study on effect of Shenqi Fuzheng Injection combined with chemotherapy in treating gastric cancer. Chin J Integr Tradit West Med (Chin) 1999;19:11–13.Google Scholar