Effectiveness of Bufei Yishen Granule (补肺益肾颗粒) combined with acupoint sticking therapy on quality of life in patients with stable chronic obstructive pulmonary disease
- 209 Downloads
To evaluate the efficacy of Bufei Yishen Granule (补肺益肾颗粒, BFYSG) combined with Shufei Tie (舒肺贴) acupoint sticking therapy on quality of life of patients with stable chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD).
A multi-center, double-blinded, double-dummy and randomized controlled method was adopted in this trial. A total of 244 patients were randomly assigned to a trial group and a control group according to the random number, each with 122 patients; treatment allocation occurred when the participants met the inclusion criteria and signed the informed consent form. In the trial group, patients were treated with BFYSG combined with “Shufei Tie” acupoint sticking therapy and sustained-release theophylline dummy, and in the control group patients were treated with oral sustained-release theophylline and BFYSG dummy combined with “Shufei Tie” acupoint sticking therapy dummy. The therapeutic course for two groups was 4 months and the follow-up was 6 months. The frequency and duration of acute exacerbation calculated by adding up each frequency and duration of acute exacerbation in treatment and follow-up time respectively, the quality of life measured by the World Health Organization Quality of Life (WHOQOL)-BREF scale and adult COPD quality of life (COPD-QOL) scale were observed.
Among the 244 enrolled patients, 234 were screened for full analysis set (FAS); 221 were screened for per-protocol analysis set (PPS). After 4-month treatment and 6-month follow-up there were differences between the trial group and the control group in frequency of acute exacerbation (FAS: P=0.013; PPS: P=0.046); duration of acute exacerbation (FAS: P=0.005; PPS: P=0.006); scores of physiological, psychological and environment aspects of the WHOQOL-BREF questionnaire (FAS: P=0.002, P=0.006, P=0.000; PPS: P=0.00, P=0.001, P=0.000); scores of daily living ability, social activity, depression symptoms aspects of the COPD-QOL questionnaire (FAS: P=0.000, P=0.000, P=0.006; PPS: P=0.002, P=0.001, P=0.001).
BFYSG combined with acupoint sticking therapy could improve the quality of life of patients with stable COPD.
KeywordsChinese medicine chronic obstructive pulmonary disease Bufei Yishen Granule acupoint sticking therapy quality of life
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.He QY, Zhou X, Xie CM, Liang ZA, Chen P, Wu CG. The influence on the quality of life and economic burden of patients with COPD in some cities in China. Chin J Tubercul Respir Dis (Chin) 2009;32:253–257.Google Scholar
- 3.Li SY, Zhou QW, Wang MH, Wang HF, Wu JZ. Effect of bufeiyishen granule on pulmonary ventilation function and immunological function of patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease in remisson phase: a randomized grouping and placebo controlled study. Chin J Clin Rehabilit (Chin) 2006;10:145–147.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 4.Li SY, Li JS, Yu XQ, Zhou QW, Wang XY. The observation of Shufei Tie acupoint sticking therapy for treatment of patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Shanxi J Tradit Chin Med (Chin) 2009;30:391–392.Google Scholar
- 5.GOLD. Global strategy for the diagnosis, management, and prevention of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Revised 2006; http://goldcopd.com/index.2007-01-22.
- 6.COPD Study Group of Chinese Society of Respiratory Disease. Treatment guidelines of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (Revised 2007). Chin J Tubercul Respir Dis (Chin) 2007;30:8–17.Google Scholar
- 7.Li JS, Wang ZW, Li SY, Yu XQ, Wang MH, Cao EX, et al. Syndrome diagnostic criteria of Traditional Chinese medicine of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (draft). The internal medicine branch of China Association for Traditional Chinese Medicine. The proceedings of the fourteenth national traditional Chinese medicine conference of pulmonary disease: 428–431.Google Scholar
- 9.WHO. The World Health Organization quality of life (WHOQOLBREF). The WHOQOL Group. Programme on mental health. World Health Organization, 2004.Google Scholar
- 10.Cai YY, Li ZZ, Fang ZJ. The evaluation of the quality of life of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Chin J General Practit (Chin) 2004;3:225–227.Google Scholar
- 11.Yang DS, Li LJ, Zhang YL, Hao W, Xiao BY, Li ZG, et al. Study on quality of life of general population. Chin Mental Health J (Chin) 1995;9:136.Google Scholar
- 13.Wang X, Wen FQ. Appraisal investigating progression of quality of life of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Med J West Chin (Chin) 2008;20:635–637.Google Scholar
- 14.Tian JH, Wang L, Shi ZM, Liu LS. On survival quality and assessment of TCM therapeutic effects. Acta Univ Tradit Med Sin Pharmacol Shanghai (Chin) 2002;16(4):33.Google Scholar
- 15.Tang CY, Lin L, Xu YJ. Effect of method of reinforcing earth to generate metal on nutritional state and pulmonary function of patients during COPD stability period. J Nanjing Univ Tradit Chin Med (Chin) 2005;21:1619–1620.Google Scholar
- 17.Li JS, Li SY, Yu XQ, Xie Y, Wang MH, Li ZG, et al. Bu-Fei Yi-Shen granule combined with acupoint sticking therapy in patients with stable chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: a randomized, double-blind, double-dummy, active-controlled, 4-center study. J Ethnopharmacol 2012;141:584–591.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar