Effects of Chai-Qin-Cheng-Qi decoction (柴芩承气汤) on acute pancreatitis-associated lung injury in mice with acute necrotizing pancreatitis
- First Online:
To investigate the effects of Chai-Qin-Cheng-Qi Decoction (柴芩承气汤, CQCQD) on acute pancreatitis-associated lung injury in mice with acute necrotizing pancreatitis (ANP).
Thirty healthy mice were randomly divided into three groups: an ANP group (ANP+placebo, n=10); a treatment group (ANP+CQCQD, n=10); and a control group (normal mice+placebo, n=10). ANP was induced by intraperitoneal injection with 8% L-arginine (4 μg/kg), and the control group was injected with normal saline. The treatment group received CQCQD (20 mL/kg), and the ANP and control groups received placebo (sucrose and starch) intragastrically at 2 h intervals. After the third intragastric administration, blood, pancreatic tissues and right lung tissues were collected for measurement of serum interleukin-6 (IL-6) and interleukin-10 (IL-10) by enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay, and the expression of heat shock protein 70 (HSP70) in lung tissue was determined by Western blot analysis. Pathological changes of pancreatic tissue and lung tissue were examined.
Serum IL-6 was significantly higher in the ANP group compared with the control and the treatment groups (1589.63±377.28 vs. 927.46±210.42 pg/mL, P<0.05, and 1589.63±377.28 vs. 1107.73±351.62 pg/mL, P<0.05, respectively). The IL-10 concentration was significantly lower in the ANP group compared with the treatment group (920.64±101.68 vs. 1177.84±201.72 pg/mL, P<0.05), but no signififi cant difference was found between the ANP and control groups and between the treatment and control groups. The expression level of HSP70 in the ANP and control groups was signififi cantly lower than in the treatment group (0.93±0.03 vs. 1.42±0.21, P<0.01, and 0.81±0.09 vs. 1.42±0.21, P<0.01, respectively). There was no signififi cant difference in HSP70 levels between the ANP and control groups. Histological scores of pancreatic and lung tissue were significantly decreased in the treatment group compared with the ANP groups (4.50±0.54 vs. 6.20±1.65, P<0.05, and 3.00±0.63 vs. 3.87±0.83, P<0.05, respectively).
The incidence of acute pancreatitisassociated lung injury in ANP mice correlates positively with serum IL-6 concentration. CQCQD may inhibit IL-6 induction and increase IL-10 concentration and HSP70 expression, effectively reducing lung injury.
Keywordsacute necrotizing pancreatitis lung injury Chai-Qin-Cheng-Qi Decoction interleukin-6 interleukin-10 heat shock protein 70
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 14.Chela ZQ, Tang YQ, Zhang Y, Jiang ZH, Mao EQ, Zou WG, et al. Adenoviral transfer of human interleukin-10 gene in lethal pancreatitis. World J Gastroenterol 2004;10:3021–3025.Google Scholar
- 15.Bromberg Z, Raj N, Goloubinoff P, Deutschman CS, Weiss YG. Enhanced expression of 70-kilodalton heat shock protein limits cell division in a sepsis induced model of acute respiratory distress syndrome. Crit Care Med 2007;12:1–10.Google Scholar
- 16.Liu XB, Jiang JM, Huang ZW, Tian BL, Hu WM, Xia Q, et al. Clinical study on the treatment of severe acute pancreatitis by integrated traditional Chinese medicine and Western medicine. J Sichuan Univ (Med Sci, Chin) 2004;35:204–208.Google Scholar
- 25.Tang WF, Yu Q, Wan MH, Qin F, Wang YG, Chen GY, et al. Simultaneous determination and pharmacokinetic studies of aloe emodin and chrysophanol in rats after oral administration of Da-Cheng-Qi decoction by high-performance liquid chromatography. Biomed Chromatogr 2007;21:701–707.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 27.Deng LH, Yang XN, Huang L, Xiang DK, Xia Q. Effects of Chaiqinchengqi decoction on exocrine function of pancreatic acinar cells of acute pancreatitis rats. J Sichuan Univ (Med Sci, Chin) 2008;39:555–557, 566.Google Scholar