Effect of Erzhi Pill (二至丸) on improving cerebral nerve cell apoptosis in aging rats
- 88 Downloads
To investigate the effects of Erzhi Pill (二至丸,EZP) on nerve cell apoptosis in senescence model rats.
The rats model of senescence was established by peritoneal D-galactose injection combined with thymusectomy. Forty SD rats were randomized into four groups, the normal control group, the senescence model group, the EZP treated group, and the vitamins treated group, 10 in each group. The rats were made into senescence model except those in the normal group. In the same time of D-galactose injection, the rats were treated respectively with distilled water, EZP 4.32 g/kg, and vitamins E and C 0.06 g/kg daily for 6 weeks via intragastric infusion. The index of main viscera (as brain, testis, etc.), serum levels of superoxide dismutase (SOD) activity, and total anti-oxidation capacity (T-AOC) were measured after a 6-week treatment. Meanwhile, the cerebral cortex neuronal apoptosis proportion and mitochondrial membrane potential (MMP) were detected by flow cytometry.
Both EZP and vitamins E and C treatments showed effects on increasing testis index and serum level of T-AOC, reducing the percentage of neuronal apoptosis in the cerebral cortex, and elevating MMP in the aging rats model.
EZP could inhibit the cerebral cortex neuron apoptosis and maintain the mitochondrial function in the senescent process of rats induced by peritoneal D-galactose injection combined with thymusectomy. It also shows antioxidation effect to some extents.
KeywordsErzhi Pill nerve cell apoptosis total antioxidation capacity senescence model rat
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Yang J, Zhan XH, Sun Y, Li XC, Li HG. Effect of Sijunzi Decoction on malondialdehyde content and telomerase activity in heart, liver and brain tissues of D-galactose induced aging model mice. Chin J Integr Tradit West Med (Chin) 2005;25:531–533.Google Scholar
- 2.Li ZS, Zhao XY, Li J. Effect of Erzhi Pills on SOD and MDA in D-galactose-induced aging rats. Inf Tradit Chin Med (Chin) 2008,25(3):37–38.Google Scholar
- 3.Sun HT. Effect of Erzhi Pills on activity of Na+-K+-ATP and Ca2+-ATP in brain tissues of aging model mice. China Foreign Med Treat (Chin) 2008;27(13):7Google Scholar
- 4.Zhao XY, Yan ZH, Li J. Effect of Er’zhi Pill on CAT and GSH-Px in aging rats induced by D-galactose. Chin Inf Tradit Chin Med (Chin) 2010;27(2):34–36.Google Scholar
- 12.Bai JS, He ZX, Wu ZK. Effect of anti-aging drug on DNA methylase of brain in rats. Chin J Integr Tradit West Med (Chin) 1996;16:358–360.Google Scholar
- 13.Mo QZ, Ma J, Gong B. Effect of Chinese herbal medicine of tonifying Kidney on M-cholinergic receptor and acetylcholinesterase activity in dementia mimetic mice. Chin J Integr Tradit West Med (Chin) 1996;16:99–101.Google Scholar
- 14.Yao G, Cai YF, Jiang HZ, Yan GF, Wang Y, Tang K, et al. Protection effects of active constituent of Erzhi Pills on immunosuppression induced by cyclophosphamide in mice. Chin Tradit Patent Med (Chin) 2008;30:1836–1837.Google Scholar
- 15.Xing WW, Zhang H, Wu JZ, Li YS, Zhu Z. Effect of Erzhi Pills on osteoporosis with Kidney-yin deficiency syndrome in rats. Fujian J Tradit Chin Med (Chin) 2008;39(6):45–47.Google Scholar
- 16.Yao G, Cai YF, Jiang HZ, Yan GF, Wang Y, Tang K, et al. Protective effects of active constituent of Erzhi Pills on experimental liver injury. Chin Tradit Patent Med (Chin) 2009;31:461–463.Google Scholar
- 17.Ho SC, Liu JH, Wu RY. Establishment of the mimetic aging effect in mice caused by D-galactose. Bio Gerontol 2003;4:15–18.Google Scholar