Shenmai Injection (参麦注射液) inhibiting the extracellular signal regulated kinase-induced human airway smooth muscle proliferation in asthma
To investigate the relationship between the proliferation of sensitized human airway smooth muscle cells (HASMCs) and the expression of extracellular signal regulated kinase (ERK) and the effect of Shenmai Injection (参麦注射液, SMI) on HASMCs.
The HASMCs cultured in vitro were divided into three groups: (1) control group; (2) sensitized group: containing 10% asthmatic serum; (3) SMI group: further divided into three different concentration subgroups interferred with 10 μL/mL, 50 μL/mL, and 100 μL/mL SMI, respectively. The proliferation of HASMCs was detected using MTT method, the expression of proliferating cell nucleus antigen (PCNA) in HASMCs was detected using immunocytochemical staining, and the expression of phosphoration-ERK1/2 (p-ERK1/2) protein was detected using Western-blot.
After passive sensitization,: the optical density value (A A490 value) of HASMCs was significantly increased from 0.366±0.086 to 0.839± 0.168 (P<0.05). In addition, the expression of PCNA was significantly increased from 28.7%±5.9% in the control group to 69.8%±7.5% in the sensitized group (P<0.05). At the same time, the expression of p-ERK1/2 in passively sensitized HASMCs was significantly increased compared with the control group (all P<0.05). After application of 10 μL/mL, 50 μL/mL, and 100 μL/mL SMI to the cultured media of passively sensitized group, the A570 value was significantly decreased from 0.839±0.168 to 0.612±0.100, 0.412±0.092, and 0.339±0.077, respectively (P<0.05). Moreover, the expression of PCNA was significantly decreased from 69.8%±7.5% to 57.8%±6.2%, 40.7%±5.4%, and 26.1%±5.2%, respectively. At the same time, the expression of p-ERK1/2 in each SMI group was significantly decreased compared with the sensitized group (all P<0.05).
ERK signal transduction pathway may be involved in the airway remodeling in asthma. The expression of ERK can be inhibited by SMI in a dose-dependent manner, thus preventing the proliferation of HASMCs.
KeywordsShenmai Injection airway smooth muscle cells extracellular signal regulated kinase airway remodeling
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 8.Davids RJ. The mitogen-activated protein kinase signal transduction pathway. J Biol Chem 1993;268:14553–14556.Google Scholar
- 9.Guan XJ, Zhang WX, Su MS, Wang ZM, Li CC, Ye LP, et al. Role of ERK signal transduction pathway in rats airway remodelling. Chin J Immunol (Chin) 2007;11:1026–1030.Google Scholar
- 12.Black JL, Johnson PR. What determines asthma phenotype? Is it the interaction between allergy and the smooth muscle? Am J Respir Crit Med 2000;161:207–210.Google Scholar
- 14.Zhao LM, Xu YJ, Zhang ZX, Ni W, Chen SX. The effect of passive sensitization on the activity and expression of KV channel in human bronchial smooth muscle cells. Chin Med J 2004;11:1630–1636.Google Scholar
- 15.Niu RJ, Fu J, Liu HG. Effect of Shenmai Injection and aminophylline on small airway smooth muscle cell apoptosis and related gene expression in rats with emphysema. Chin J Integr Tradit West Med (Chin) 2002;22:40–42.Google Scholar
- 16.Zhao LM, Xiong SD, Niu RJ, Xu YJ. Effect of Shenmai Injection on L-type calcium current of diaphragmatic muscle in rats. Chin J Integr Tradit West Med (Chin) 2003;8:599–602.Google Scholar
- 17.Chinese Society of Respiratory Diseases, Chinese Medical Association. Guidelines for prevention and treatment of bronchial asthma. Chin J Tuberc Respir Dis (Chin) 2008;3:177–185.Google Scholar
- 19.Matthew PH, Lynm M, Dilys L, Hirst SJ. Inhibitors of mitogen-activated protein kinases differentially regulate eosinophil-activating cytokine release from human airway smooth muscle. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2001;164:688–697.Google Scholar
- 22.Bhagavathula N, Kelley EA, Reddy M, Suzuki N, Shimosegawa T. Endothelin-1 stimulates contraction and migration of rat pancreatic stellate cells. World J Gastroenterol 2005;11:6144–6151.Google Scholar
- 24.Cui JJ, Zhu YJ, Wu MD. Application of Shenmai Injection in clinic. China Pharmacist (Chin) 2004;7:305–307.Google Scholar
- 25.Ye DJ, Wu P, Niu RJ. Experimental study on effect of Shenmai Injection in improving contractility of fatigue diaphragm in rats. Chin J Integr Tradit West Med (Chin) 2000;20:679–681.Google Scholar
- 26.Wang C, Hu G, Liu Y, Zhou Q, Shao G, Li YL. Influence of ginsenosides on contractility of fatigued diaphragm in rats. J Bengbu Med Coll (Chin) 2005;30:121–123.Google Scholar
- 27.Zhang LJ, Zhang WJ, He LH. Study on effect of Shenmai Injection on immunologic function of patients with bronchial asthma. J Liaoning Coll Tradit Chin Med (Chin) 2006;8(3):79.Google Scholar
- 28.Luo YN, Niu RJ, Liu XS, Xu YJ. Effect of Shenmai Injection on the activity of calcium channels in airway smooth muscle cells of rat model with asthma. J Intern Intensive Med (Chin) 2008;14:300–302.Google Scholar