Effect of Tanreqing Injection (痰热清注射液) on treatment of acute exacerbation of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease with Chinese medicine syndrome of retention of phlegm and heat in Fei (肺)
- 130 Downloads
To explore the effect of Tanreqing Injection (痰热清注射液, TRQI) on the treatment of acute exacerbation of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (AECOPD) with Chinese medicine syndrome of retention of phlegm and heat in Fei (痰热阻肺证, RPHF).
In a prospective randomized controlled clinical trial, 90 patients with AECOPD of RPHF syndrome were randomly assigned to 3 groups, TRQI and controls A and B, each with 30 cases. The TRQI group was administered with the intravenous injections of 20 mL TRQI once a day and conventional Western medicine treatment. Control group A was administered with the intravenous injection of 15 mg ambroxol hydrochloride twice a day and conventional Western medicine treatment, and control group B was administered with conventional Western medicine treatment only. The treatments were administered for 10 days. Chinese medical symptoms and signs were scored, and plasma concentrations of interleukin (IL)-8 and neutrophil elastase (NE) were recorded.
(1) The Chinese medical symptoms (cough, sputum amount, expectoration, dyspnea and fever) and signs (tongue and pulse) improved significantly in the TRQI group (P<0.05 or P<0.01), and improvements in cough, sputum amount and expectoration were better in the TRQI group than control group B (P<0.05); there was no significant difference between the TRQI group and control group A (P>0.05). The sign of tongue was also improved significantly in the TRQI group (P<0.05). (2) The overall effects in the TRQI group and control group A were significantly better than in control group B (P<0.05), with no significant differences between the TRQI group and control group A (P>0.05). There was no significant difference in the total effective rate among the three groups (P>0.05). (3) After treatment, the plasma concentrations of IL-8 and NE decreased in the TRQI group and control group A (P<0.05), and the concentration of IL-8 in control group B decreased (P<0.05). The difference in IL-8 was greater in the TRQI group than in control group A and B before and after treatment, and the change in NE was greater in control group A than in the TRQI group and control group B, but there was no statistical significance among the three groups with regards to the change in IL-8 or NE (P>0.05).
TRQI could improved the Chinese medical signs and symptoms in the patients with AECOPD, possibly because of the decreasing plasma levels of IL-8 and NE which could improve response to airway inflammation and mucus hypersecretion.
KeywordsTanreqing Injection acute exacerbation of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease retention of phlegm and heat in Fei randomized controlled trial interleukin-8 neutrophil elastase
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Global strategy for the diagonsis, management, and prevention of chronic obstrutive lung disease. Updated 2008. http//www.goldcopd.org
- 2.Bao TY. A review on treating COPD in Chinese medicine. Chin J Pract Mod Med (Chin) 2008;21:397–399.Google Scholar
- 3.Peng B, Zhang NH, Ji HY, Li GL, Ren W, Chen W. Effect of Tanreqing on chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (pulmonary retention of phlegm pyrexia). J Emerg Tradit Chin Med (Chin) 2007;16:1456–1457.Google Scholar
- 4.Zhang HJ, Wei ZL. Effect of Tanreqing on chronic obstructive pulmonary disease combined with infection. Med Forum Basic (Chin) 2006;10:1150–1150.Google Scholar
- 5.Chinese Sociey of Respiratory Diseases. Diagnosis and treatment guidance of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Chin Tuberc Respir Dis (Chin) 2002;25:453–460.Google Scholar
- 6.Zheng XY. Guiding principle of clinical research on new drugs of Chinese medicine. Bejing: China Medico-Pharmaceutical Sciences and Technology Publishing House; 2002:54–58.Google Scholar
- 8.Sitompul PA, Sutoyo DK, Antariksa B, Kadarsih R. Contribution lower airway bacterial colonization to persistent airway lumen inflammation and progression of airway disease in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Respirology (Suppl) 2008;13:102–110.Google Scholar
- 9.Devalia JL, Mills PR, Sapsford RJ, Seemungal T, Davies RJ. The effect of exposure to diesel exhaust particles (DEP) on IL-8 release from bronchial epithelial cells cultured from biopsies of non-smokers, smokers with normal pulmonary function and patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). Allergy 1998;53:64.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 10.Sullivan A, Gompertz S, Bayley D, Stockley R. Sputum eosinophilia in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD): relationship with interleukin-8 (IL-8) in spontaneous and induced sputum sol. Thorax (Suppl) 2001;56:iii80–iii81.Google Scholar
- 14.Cianchetti S, Bacci E, Bartoli ML, Ruocco L, Pavia T, Dente FL, et al. Can hypertonic saline inhalation influence preformed chemokine and mediator release in induced sputum of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease patients?Comparison with isotonic saline. Clin Exp Allergy 2007;37:1819–1826.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 16.Cai BQ, Zhu YJ, Xu L, Zhang H, Guo ZJ, Ma Y, et al. Clinical analysis of Huayu Kechuan tabletse (814) in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease(312 cases). Bull Med Res (Chin) 2002;4(31):14–18.Google Scholar
- 17.Wang S, Zhang NZ, Ji HY, Li ZG. Yifei Jianpi Chinese medicine on airway inflammation of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Chin J Integr Tradit Med (Chin) 2002;22:462.Google Scholar
- 18.Zhang LL, Li Z, Xu XY, Li YM. Pharmacodynamic study of Tanreqing capsule. Chin J Exp Tradit Med Form (Chin) 2004; 10(3):37–40.Google Scholar
- 19.Gao YM, Wang ZS. Preliminary evaluation of clinical pharmacy of Tanreqing injection. Capital Med (Chin) 2004;11(12):44–46.Google Scholar
- 20.Huang B, Huang QX, Lu DS, Xie CM. Clinical research of Tanreqing Injection on acute exacerbation of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. J Emerg Tradit Chin Med (Chin) 2006:5:464–466.Google Scholar
- 21.Xu CQ. Effect of Tanreqing Injection on cytokines and pulmonary function in patients with COPD. Pract Gen Med (Chin) 2006;4:401–402.Google Scholar
- 22.Zhang Y, Li TQ, Wang G, Chang J, Mao B, Wang L, et al. Randomized controlled trial of Tanreqing Injection in treatment of acute exacerbation of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (syndrome of retention of phlegm-heat in the lung). Chin J Evid-Based Med (Chin) 2004;4:300–306.Google Scholar
- 23.Zhu YQ. The effect of ambroxola against airway inflammation of patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Hainan Med (Chin) 2006;12(17):6–7.Google Scholar