Effect of Shengmai injection (生脉注射液) on vascular endothelial and heart functions in patients with coronary heart disease complicated with diabetes mellitus
To study the effect of Shengmai injection (生脉注射液, SMI) on vascular endothelial and heart functions in coronary heart disease patients complicated with diabetes mellitus (CHD-DM).
One hundred and twenty patients with CHD-DM, their diagnosis confirmed by coronary arteriography, were equally randomized into a control group treated with conventional treatment and a treated group treated with conventional treatment plus SMI. The changes in blood levels of nitric oxide (NO), endothelin-1 (ET-1) and angiotensin II (Ang II), as well as endothelium-dependent vascular dilating function and heart function in the patients were observed before treatment and after the 3-week treatment.
After being treated with SMI for 3 weeks, in the treated group, blood level of NO was raised significantly from 69.8 ± 33.1 μ mol/L to 120.1 ± 50.8 μ mol/L, and ET-1 was lowered from 70.1 ± 32.1 ng/L to 46.2 ± 21.3 ng/L, respectively (P<0.01); that of Ang II was lowered from 81.3 ± 24.3 ng/L to 50.2 ± 27.3 ng/L (P<0.01); brachial arterial post-congestion blood flow increasing rate was raised from 389.4 ± 26.3% to 459.3 ± 27.8% (P<0.01); and the improvement in heart function as seen through the ejection fraction (EF) was increased from 44 ± 5% to 68 ± 6% (P<0.01), all the changes being more significant than those in the control group (all P<0.01).
SMI can improve not only the endothelial function in CHD-DM patients, but also heart contraction significantly.
Key WordsShengmai injection coronary heart disease diabetes mellitus vascular endothelial function heart function
- 4.Miki Horigome, Naoya Hattori, Mitsuaki Horigome, et al. Quantitative measurements of coronary endothelial function in type 2 diabetic patients with coronary risk factors. Circ J 2007; 71(Suppl):296p.Google Scholar
- 5.Zhang YC, Chen RM, Zhao MH, et al. Effect of Shengmai Injection (生脉注射液) on hemodynamics in patients with dilated cardiomyopathy. Chin J Integr Tradit West Med (Chin) 2002;22(4):277–279.Google Scholar
- 6.Chen YM, Yang JX, Sha W, et al. Effect of Sheng-mai-san injection vs Astragalus membranaceus injection in treating coronary heart disease with left ventricular dysfunction. Chin J New Drugs Clin Remedies (Chin) 1998;17(3):27–29.Google Scholar
- 7.Zhang YC, Zhao MH, Lu BJ, et al. Effects of Shengmai injection in the treatment of acute myocardial infarction with left ventricular dysfunction. Acad J Shanghai Second Med Univ 2004;24(8):692.Google Scholar
- 13.Lu BJ, Rong YZ, Zhao MH, et al. Effect of Shengmaisan (生脉散) on lipid peroxidation damage in acute myocardial infarction patients. Chin J Integr Tradit West Med 1996;2(4):249–251.Google Scholar