Effect of Shengmai injection (生脉注射液) on vascular endothelial and heart functions in patients with coronary heart disease complicated with diabetes mellitus
- 108 Downloads
To study the effect of Shengmai injection (生脉注射液, SMI) on vascular endothelial and heart functions in coronary heart disease patients complicated with diabetes mellitus (CHD-DM).
One hundred and twenty patients with CHD-DM, their diagnosis confirmed by coronary arteriography, were equally randomized into a control group treated with conventional treatment and a treated group treated with conventional treatment plus SMI. The changes in blood levels of nitric oxide (NO), endothelin-1 (ET-1) and angiotensin II (Ang II), as well as endothelium-dependent vascular dilating function and heart function in the patients were observed before treatment and after the 3-week treatment.
After being treated with SMI for 3 weeks, in the treated group, blood level of NO was raised significantly from 69.8 ± 33.1 μ mol/L to 120.1 ± 50.8 μ mol/L, and ET-1 was lowered from 70.1 ± 32.1 ng/L to 46.2 ± 21.3 ng/L, respectively (P<0.01); that of Ang II was lowered from 81.3 ± 24.3 ng/L to 50.2 ± 27.3 ng/L (P<0.01); brachial arterial post-congestion blood flow increasing rate was raised from 389.4 ± 26.3% to 459.3 ± 27.8% (P<0.01); and the improvement in heart function as seen through the ejection fraction (EF) was increased from 44 ± 5% to 68 ± 6% (P<0.01), all the changes being more significant than those in the control group (all P<0.01).
SMI can improve not only the endothelial function in CHD-DM patients, but also heart contraction significantly.
Key WordsShengmai injection coronary heart disease diabetes mellitus vascular endothelial function heart function
- 4.Miki Horigome, Naoya Hattori, Mitsuaki Horigome, et al. Quantitative measurements of coronary endothelial function in type 2 diabetic patients with coronary risk factors. Circ J 2007; 71(Suppl):296p.Google Scholar
- 5.Zhang YC, Chen RM, Zhao MH, et al. Effect of Shengmai Injection (生脉注射液) on hemodynamics in patients with dilated cardiomyopathy. Chin J Integr Tradit West Med (Chin) 2002;22(4):277–279.Google Scholar
- 6.Chen YM, Yang JX, Sha W, et al. Effect of Sheng-mai-san injection vs Astragalus membranaceus injection in treating coronary heart disease with left ventricular dysfunction. Chin J New Drugs Clin Remedies (Chin) 1998;17(3):27–29.Google Scholar
- 7.Zhang YC, Zhao MH, Lu BJ, et al. Effects of Shengmai injection in the treatment of acute myocardial infarction with left ventricular dysfunction. Acad J Shanghai Second Med Univ 2004;24(8):692.Google Scholar
- 13.Lu BJ, Rong YZ, Zhao MH, et al. Effect of Shengmaisan (生脉散) on lipid peroxidation damage in acute myocardial infarction patients. Chin J Integr Tradit West Med 1996;2(4):249–251.Google Scholar