Clinical study on effect of Astragalus Injection (黄芪注射液) and its immuno-regulation action in treating chronic aplastic anemia
- 86 Downloads
To observe the clinical effect of Astragalus Injection (黄芪注射液, AI) and its immuno-regulatory action in treating chronic aplastic anemia (CAA).
Sixty patients with CAA were randomly assigned to two groups equally, both were treated with Stanozolol three times a day, 2 mg each time through oral intake, but AI was given additionally to the patients in the treated group once a day via intravenous dripping. All were treated for 15 days as one therapeutic course and the whole medication lasted for more than 4 months totally, with follow-up adopted. The clinical efficacy was estimated and the changes of T-lymphocyte subsets in peripheral blood as well as the serum levels of tumor necrosis factor-α (TNF-α) and interleukin-2 (IL-2) were observed.
The total effective rate in the treated group was 83.3% (25/30), which was higher than that in the control group 66.7% (20/30), showing significant difference between them (P<0.05). Levels of hemoglobin, WBC, reticular cell and platelet were elevated in both groups after treatment, but the improvement was significantly better in the treated group than that in the control group with respect to the former three indexes (P<0.05). The level of CD4+ increased and that of CD8+ decreased significantly after treatment in the treated group (P<0.05), which showed significant difference as compared with those in the control group (P<0.05). Levels of serum TNF-α and IL-2 lowered after treatment in both groups, but significance only showed in the treated group (P<0.05). The degree of proliferation in bone marrow got raised significantly and the percentage of non-hemopoietic cells reduced significantly in the treated group after treatment, also showing significant difference to those in the control group (P<0.05).
AI could promote the recovery of hemopoietic function, which might be through improving T-lymphocyte subsets and reducing the release of negative regulatory factors such as TNF-α and IL-2 to alleviate the inhibition on hemopoietic function.
Key WordsAstragalus Injection chronic aplastic anemia T-lymphocyte subsets tumor necrosis factor-α interleukin-2
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Zhang ZN, editor. Standard for diagnosis and treatment of blood disease. 2nd ed. Beijing: Science Press, 1998: 33–36.Google Scholar
- 4.He H, Shao ZH, He GS, et al. Role of Th1 cell in the pathogenesis of aplastic anemia. Chin J Hematol 2002;23(11):547–577.Google Scholar
- 5.Shao ZH, Chen KQ, Chen GB, et al. Correlation between the serum levels of interleukin-2 and soluble interleukin-2 receptor and the response to immunosuppressive therapy in severe aplastic anemia patients. Chin J Hematol 1997;18(4):180–182.Google Scholar
- 6.Zhang T, Sun BZ, Feng Q, et al. A comparative study on the expressions of IL-4, IFN-gamma and TNF-alpha in BMMNC of acute and chronic aplastic anemia patients. Chin J Hematol 2000;21(10):530–532.Google Scholar
- 8.Xu SF, OU YX. Progress on study of immunological pathogenetic mechanism of aplastic anemia. Med J Natl Defend Forces Northwest China 2002;23(1):56–58.Google Scholar
- 9.Wang ZG, Zhou JH, editors. Progress on pharmacological and clinical study of Chinese materia medica (Vol. 1). Beijing: Chinese Publishing House of Science and Technology, 1992:254–261.Google Scholar
- 10.Liu XK, Yu ZK. Progress on study of constituents and pharmacologic activity of astragalus. Shanghai Med Pharm J 1995;16(2):23–28.Google Scholar
- 11.Hu JM. Effect of astragalus polysaccharides on progenitors of granular macrophage series in mice. Chin J Exp Clin Immunol 1997;9(6):53–55.Google Scholar