Clustering of functional data in a low-dimensional subspace
- 599 Downloads
To find optimal clusters of functional objects in a lower-dimensional subspace of data, a sequential method called tandem analysis, is often used, though such a method is problematic. A new procedure is developed to find optimal clusters of functional objects and also find an optimal subspace for clustering, simultaneously. The method is based on the k-means criterion for functional data and seeks the subspace that is maximally informative about the clustering structure in the data. An efficient alternating least-squares algorithm is described, and the proposed method is extended to a regularized method. Analyses of artificial and real data examples demonstrate that the proposed method gives correct and interpretable results.
KeywordsFunctional data Clustering Low-dimensional space Dimension reduction Smoothing
Mathematics Subject Classification (2000)62H30 91C20
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Arabie P, Hubert L (1994) Cluster analysis in marketing research. In: Bagozzi RP (eds) Advanced methods of marketing research. Blackwell Business, Cambridge, pp 160–189Google Scholar
- De Boor C (2001) A practical guide to splines, revised edition. Springer, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- De Soete G, Carroll JD (1994) K-means clustering in a low-dimensional Euclidean space. In: Diday E, Lechevallier Y, Schader M, Bertrand P, Burtschy B (eds) New approaches in classification and data analysis. Springer, Heidelberg, pp 212–219Google Scholar
- Dunford N, Schwartz JT (1988) Linear operators, spectral theory, self adjoint operators in Hilbert space, part 2. Interscience, NewYorkGoogle Scholar
- R Development Core Team (2005) R: A language and environment for statistical computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing. Austria. ISBN 3-900051-07-0, URL http://www.R-project.org
- Ramsay JO, Silverman BW (2005) Functional data analysis, 2nd Edn. Springer, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Rossi F, Conan-Guez B, Golli AE (2004) Clustering functional data with the SOM algorithm. ESANN’2004 proceedings, pp 305–312Google Scholar
- Suyundykov R, Puechmorel S, Ferre L (2010) Multivariate functional data clusterization by PCA in Sobolev space using wavelets. Hyper Articles en Ligne:inria-00494702Google Scholar