Model-based clustering of time series in group-specific functional subspaces
- 406 Downloads
This work develops a general procedure for clustering functional data which adapts the clustering method high dimensional data clustering (HDDC), originally proposed in the multivariate context. The resulting clustering method, called funHDDC, is based on a functional latent mixture model which fits the functional data in group-specific functional subspaces. By constraining model parameters within and between groups, a family of parsimonious models is exhibited which allow to fit onto various situations. An estimation procedure based on the EM algorithm is proposed for determining both the model parameters and the group-specific functional subspaces. Experiments on real-world datasets show that the proposed approach performs better or similarly than classical two-step clustering methods while providing useful interpretations of the groups and avoiding the uneasy choice of the discretization technique. In particular, funHDDC appears to always outperform HDDC applied on spline coefficients.
KeywordsFunctional data Time series clustering Model-based clustering Group-specific functional subspaces Functional PCA
Mathematics Subject Classification (2010)62H30 62M10 62F99
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Ferraty F, Vieu P (2006) Nonparametric functional data analysis. Springer series in statistics. Springer, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Lévéder C, Abraham P, Cornillon E, Matzner-Lober E, Molinari N (2004) Discrimination de courbes de prétrissage. In: Chimiométrie 2004, Paris, pp 37–43Google Scholar
- Olszewski R (2001) Generalized feature extraction for structural pattern recognition in time-series data. PhD thesis, Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, PAGoogle Scholar
- Ramsay JO, Silverman BW (2005) Functional data analysis. Springer series in statistics, 2nd edn. Springer, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Xi X, Keogh E, Shelton C, Wei L, Ratanamahatana C (2006) Fast time series classification using numerosity reduction. In: 23rd international conference on machine learning (ICML 2006), Pittsburgh, PA, pp 1033–1040Google Scholar