An Efficient Adaptive Hierarchical Sliding Mode Control Strategy Using Neural Networks for 3D Overhead Cranes
In this paper, a new adaptive hierarchical sliding mode control scheme for a 3D overhead crane system is proposed. A controller is first designed by the use of a hierarchical structure of two first-order sliding surfaces represented by two actuated and un-actuated subsystems in the bridge crane. Parameters of the controller are then intelligently estimated, where uncertain parameters due to disturbances in the 3D overhead crane dynamic model are proposed to be represented by radial basis function networks whose weights are derived from a Lyapunov function. The proposed approach allows the crane system to be robust under uncertainty conditions in which some uncertain and unknown parameters are highly difficult to determine. Moreover, stability of the sliding surfaces is proved to be guaranteed. Effectiveness of the proposed approach is then demonstrated by implementing the algorithm in both synthetic and real-life systems, where the results obtained by our method are highly promising.
Keywords3D overhead crane adaptive control hierarchical sliding mode control neural network radial basis function
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- N. Sun, T. Yang, H. Chen, Y. C. Fang, Y. Z. Qian. Adaptive anti-swing and positioning control for 4-DOF rotary cranes subject to uncertain/unknown parameters with hardware experiments. IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics: Systems, to be published. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1109/TSMC.2017.2765183.
- N. Sun, T. Yang, Y. C. Fang, Y. M. Wu, H. Chen. Transportation control of double-pendulum cranes with a nonlinear quasi-PID scheme: Desggn and experiments. IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics: Systems, published online. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1109/TSMC.2018.2871627.
- H. M. Omar. Control of gantry and tower cranes, Ph. D. dissertation, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Blacksburg, USA, 2003.Google Scholar
- H. Park, D. Chwa, K. S. Hong. A feedback linearization control of container cranes: Varying rope length. International Journal of Control, Automation, and Systems, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 379–387, 2007.Google Scholar
- T. A. Le, J. J. Kim, S. G. Lee, T. G. Lim, N. C. Luong. Second-order sliding mode control of a 3D overhead crane with uncertain system parameters. International Journal of Precision Engineering and Manufacturing, vol. 15, no. 5, pp. 811–819, 2014. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s12541-014-0404-z.Google Scholar
- H. Le Xuan, T. Nguyen Van, A. Le Viet, N. V. T. Thuy, M. P. Xuan. Adaptive backstepping hierarchical sliding mode control for uncertain 3D overhead crane systems. In Proceedings of International Conference on System Science and Engineering, IEEE, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam, pp. 438–443, 2017. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1109/ICSSE.2017.8030913.Google Scholar
- J. H. Yang, K. S. Yang. Adaptive coupling control for overhead crane systems. Mechatronics, vol. 17, no. 2–3, pp. 143–152, 2007. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mechatronics.2006.08.004.Google Scholar
- M. S. Park, D. Chwa, S. K. Hong. Antisway tracking control of overhead cranes with system uncertainty and actuator nonlinearity using an adaptive fuzzy sliding-mode control. IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, vol. 55, no. 11, pp. 3972–3984, 2008. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2008.2004385.Google Scholar
- C. C. Tsai, H. L. Wu, K. H. Chuang. Intelligent sliding-mode motion control using fuzzy wavelet networks for automatic 3D overhead cranes. In Proceedings of SICE Annual Conference, IEEE, Akita, Japan, pp. 1256–1261, 2012.Google Scholar
- S. Mahjoub, F. Mnif, N. Derbel. Radial-basis-functions neural network sliding mode control for underactuated manipulators. In Proceedings of the 10th International Multi-Conferences on Systems, Signals & Devices, IEEE, Hammamet, Tunisia, 2013. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1109/SSD.2013.6564106.Google Scholar
- H. C. Lu, C. H. Tsai, M. H. Chang. Radial basis function neural network with sliding mode control for robotic manipulators. In Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Systems, Man and Cybernetics, Istanbul, Turkey, pp. 1209–1215, 2010. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1109/ICSMC.2010.5642384.Google Scholar
- C. Zhang, A. M. Zhang, H. Zhang, Y. F. Bai, C. J. Guo, Y. S. Geng. RBF neural networks sliding mode controller design for static var compensator. In Proceedings of the 34th Chinese Control Conference, IEEE, Hangzhou, China, pp. 3501–3506, 2015. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1109/ChiCC.2015.7260179.Google Scholar
- L. V. Anh, L. X. Hai, V. D. Thuan, P. Van Trieu, L. A. Tuan, H. M. Cuong. Designing an adaptive controller for 3D overhead cranes using hierarchical sliding mode and neural network. In Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on System Science and Engineering, New Taipei, China, pp. 1–6, 2018. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1109/ICSSE.2018.8520162.Google Scholar
- M. T. Hagan, H. B. Demuth, M. H. Beale, O. De Jess. Neural Network Design, 2nd ed., Pittsburgh, USA: Martin Hagan, 2014.Google Scholar