Applying Deep Learning to Individual and Community Health Monitoring Data: A Survey
In the recent years, deep learning models have addressed many problems in various fields. Meanwhile, technology development has spawned the big data in healthcare rapidly. Nowadays, application of deep learning to solve the problems in healthcare is a hot research direction. This paper introduces the application of deep learning in healthcare extensively. We focus on 7 application areas of deep learning, which are electronic health records (EHR), electrocardiography (ECG), electroencephalogram (EEG), community healthcare, data from wearable devices, drug analysis and genomics analysis. The scope of this paper does not cover medical image processing since other researchers have already substantially reviewed it. In addition, we analyze the merits and drawbacks of the existing works, analyze the existing challenges, and discuss future trends.
KeywordsDeep learning healthcare electronic health records (EHR) neural networks survey
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
This work was supported by US National Science Foundation (Nos. DBI-1356669 and III-1526012).
- F. Rosenblatt. The Perceptron: A Perceiving and Recognizing Automaton, Report 85-60-1. Cornell Aeronautical Laboratory, Buffalo, New York, USA, 1957.Google Scholar
- P. J. Werbos. Beyond Regression: New Tools for Prediction and Analysis in the Behavioral Sciences, Ph. D. dissertation, Harvard University, Harvard, USA, 1974.Google Scholar
- A. Krizhevsky, I. Sutskever, G. Hinton. Imagenet classification with deep convolutional neural networks. In Proceedings of Advances in Neural Information Processing Systems, Lake Tahoe, USA, pp. 1097–1105, 2012.Google Scholar
- G. Hinton, L. Deng, D. Yu, G. E. Dahl, A. R. Mohamed, N. Jaitly, A. Senior, V. Vanhoucke, P. Nguyen, T. N. Sainath, B. Kingsbury. Deep neural networks for acoustic modeling in speech recognition: The shared views of four research groups. IEEE Signal Processing Magazine, vol. 29, no. 6, pp. 82–97, 2012. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1109/MSP.2012.2205597.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- R. Miotto, L. Li, B. A. Kidd, J. T. Dudley. Deep patient: An unsupervised representation to predict the future of patients from the electronic health records. Scientific Reports, vol. 6, Article number 26094, 2016. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1038/srep26094.
- P. Danaee, R. Ghaeini, D. A. Hendrix. A deep learning approach for cancer detection and relevant gene identification. In Proceedings of Pacific Symposium on Biocomputing, World Scientific, Kohala Coast, USA, 2017.Google Scholar
- Z. Xu, S. Wang, F. Y. Zhu, J. Z. Huang. Seq2seq fingerprint: An unsupervised deep molecular embedding for drug discovery. In Proceedings of the 8th ACM International Conference on Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, and Health Informatics, Boston, USA, pp. 285–294, 2017. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1145/3107411.3107424.Google Scholar
- G. E. Hinton, T. J. Sejnowski. Learning and relearning in Boltzmann machines. Parallel Distributed Processing: Explorations in the Microstructure of Cognition, D. E. Rumelhart, J. L. McClelland, Eds., Cambridge, USA: MIT Press, pp. 1, 1986.Google Scholar
- R. Salakhutdinov, G. E. Hinton. Deep Boltzmann machines. In Proceedings of the 12th International Conference on Artificial Intelligence and Statistics, Clearwater Beach, USA, pp. 448–455, 2009.Google Scholar
- A. N. Jagannatha, H. Yu. Bidirectional RNN for medical event detection in electronic health records. In Proceedings of Conference Association for Computational Linguistics, North American Chapter, Berlin, Germany, pp. 473–482, 2016.Google Scholar
- C. Esteban, O. Staeck, S. Baier, Y. C. Yang, V. Tresp. Predicting clinical events by combining static and dynamic information using recurrent neural networks. In Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Healthcare Informatics, Chicago, USA, pp. 93–101, 2016. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1109/ICHI.2016.16.Google Scholar
- S. Mehrabi, S. Sohn, D. H. Li, J. J. Pankratz, T. Therneau, J. L. S. Sauver, H. F. Liu, M. Palakal. Temporal pattern and association discovery of diagnosis codes using deep learning. In Proceedings of International Conference on Healthcare Informatics, Dallas, USA, pp. 408–416, 2015. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1109/ICHI.2015.58.Google Scholar
- E. Putin, P. Mamoshina, A. Aliper, M. Korzinkin, A. Moskalev, A. Kolosov, A. Ostrovskiy, C. Cantor, J. Vijg, A. Zhavoronkov. Deep biomarkers of human aging: Application of deep neural networks to biomarker development. AGING, vol. 8, no. 5, pp. 1021–1033, 2016. DOI: https://doi.org/10.18632/aging.100968.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Y. Cheng, F. Wang, P. Zhang, J. Y. Hu. Risk prediction with electronic health records: A deep learning approach. In Proceedings of SIAM International Conference on Data Mining, Miami, USA, pp. 432–440, 2016.Google Scholar
- T. Pham, T. Tran, D. Phung, S. Venkatesh. DeepCare: A deep dynamic memory model for predictive medicine. In Proceedings of the 20th Pacific-Asia Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining, Springer, Auckland, New Zealand, pp. 30–41, 2016. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-31750-2_3.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- A. Rajkomar, E. Oren, K. Chen, A. M. Dai, N. Hajaj, M. Hardt, P. J. Liu, X. B. Liu, J. Marcus, M. M. Sun, P. Sundberg, H. Yee, K. Zhang, Y. Zhang, G. Flores, G. E. Duggan, J. Irvine, Q. Le, K. Litsch, A. Mossin, J. Tansuwan, D. Wang, J. Wexler, J. Wilson, D. Ludwig, S. L. Volchenboum, K. Chou, M. Pearson, S. Madabushi, N. H. Shah, A. J. Butte, M. D. Howell, C. Cui, G. S. Corrado, J. Dean. Scalable and accurate deep learning with electronic health records. Nature Partner Journals Digital Medicine, vol. 1, pp. 1–10, 2018. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1038/s41746-018-0029-1.Google Scholar
- Y. Yan, X. B. Qin, Y. G. Wu, N. N. Zhang, J. P. Fan, L. Wang. A restricted Boltzmann machine based two-lead electrocardiography classification. In Proceedings of the 12th IEEE International Conference on Wearable and Implantable Body Sensor Networks, Cambridge, USA, pp. 1–9, 2015. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1109/BSN.2015.7299399.Google Scholar
- U. R. Acharya, H. Fujita, S. L. Oh, Y. Hagiwara, J. H. Tan, M. Adam. Application of deep convolutional neural network for automated detection of myocardial infarction using ECG signals. Information Sciences, vol. 415–416, pp. 190–198, 2017. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ins.2017.06.027.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- D. Wulsin, J. Blanco, R. Mani, B. Litt. Semi-supervised anomaly detection for EEG waveforms using deep belief nets. In Proceedings of the 9th International Conference on Machine Learning and Applications, Washington DC, USA, pp. 436–441, 2010. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1109/ICMLA.2010.71.Google Scholar
- A. Page, J. Turner, T. Mohsenin, T. Oates. Comparing raw data and feature extraction for seizure detection with deep learning methods. In Proceedings of the 27th International Flairs Conference, AAAI, Pensacola Beach, USA, pp. 284–287, 2014.Google Scholar
- X. W. Jia, K. Li, X. Y. Li, A. D. Zhang. A novel semi-supervised deep learning framework for affective state recognition on EEG signals. In Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Bioinformatics and Bioengineering, Boca Raton, US, pp. 30–37, 2014. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1109/BIBE.2014.26.Google Scholar
- R. T. Schirrmeister, J. T. Springenberg, L. D. J. Fiederer, M. Glasstetter, K. Eggensperger, M. Tangermann, F. Hutter, W. Burgard, T. Ball. Deep learning with convolutional neural networks for EEG decoding and visualization. Human Brain Mapping, vol. 38, no. 11, pp. 5391–5420, 2017. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1002/hbm.23730.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- L. Zhao, J. Z. Chen, F. Chen, W. Wang, C. T. Lu, N. Ramakrishnan. Simnest: Social media nested epidemic simulation via online semi-supervised deep learning. In Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Data Mining, IEEE, Atlantic City, USA, pp. 639–648, 2015. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1109/ICDM.2015.39.Google Scholar
- B. Zou, V. Lampos, R. Gorton, I. J. Cox. On infectious intestinal disease surveillance using social media content. In Proceedings of the 6th International Conference on Digital Health Conference, ACM, Montreal, Canada, pp. 157–161, 2016. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1145/2896338.2896372.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- A. Benton, M. Mitchell, D. Hovy. Multi-task learning for mental health using social media text. In Proceedings of the 15th Conference of the European Chapter of the Association for Computational Linguistics, Valencia, Spain, pp. 1–11 2017.Google Scholar
- N. Hammerla, J. Fisher, P. Andras, L. Rochester, R. Walker, T. Ploetz. PD disease state assessment in naturalistic environments using deep learning. In Proceedings of the 29th AAAI Conference on Artificial Intelligence, Austin, USA, pp. 1742–1748, 2015.Google Scholar
- D. Ravi, C. Wong, B. Lo, G. Z. Yang. Deep learning for human activity recognition: A resource efficient implementation on low-power devices. In Proceedings of the 13th IEEE International Conference on Wearable and Implantable Body Sensor Networks, San Francisco, USA, pp. 71–76, 2016. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1109/BSN.2016.7516235.Google Scholar
- A. Aliamiri, Y. C. Shen. Deep learning based atrial fibrillation detection using wearable photoplethysmography sensor. In Proceedings of IEEE EMBS International Conference on Biomedical & Health Informatics, Las Vegas, USA, pp. 442–445, 2018. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1109/BHI.2018.8333463.Google Scholar
- T. Huynh, Y. L. He, A. Willis, S. Ruger. Adverse drug reaction classification with deep neural networks. In Proceedings of the 26th International Conference on Computational Linguistics, Osaka, Japan, pp. 877–887, 2016.Google Scholar
- S. Yousefi, F. Amrollahi, M. Amgad, C. L. Dong, J. E. Lewis, C. Z. Song, D. A. Gutman, S. H. Halani, J. E. V. Vega, D. J. Brat, L. A. D. Cooper. Predicting clinical outcomes from large scale cancer genomic profiles with deep survival models. Scientific Reports, vol. 7, Article number 11707, 2017. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-017-11817-6.
- W. L. Chen, J. Wilson, S. Tyree, K. Weinberger, Y. X. Chen. Compressing neural networks with the hashing trick. In Proceedings of the 23nd International Conference on Machine Learning, Lille, France, pp. 2285–2294, 2015.Google Scholar
- W. L. Chen, J. Wilson, S. Tyree, K. Q. Weinberger, Y. X. Chen. Compressing convolutional neural networks in the frequency domain. In Proceedings of the 22nd ACM SIGKDD International Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining, ACM, San Francisco, USA, pp. 1475–1484, 2016. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1145/2939672.2939839.CrossRefGoogle Scholar