Low-latency data gathering with reliability guaranteeing in heterogeneous wireless sensor networks
In order to achieve low-latency and high-reliability data gathering in heterogeneous wireless sensor networks (HWSNs), the problem of multi-channel-based data gathering with minimum latency (MCDGML), which associates with construction of data gathering trees, channel allocation, power assignment of nodes and link scheduling, is formulated as an optimization problem in this paper. Then, the optimization problem is proved to be NP-hard. To make the problem tractable, firstly, a multi-channel-based low-latency (MCLL) algorithm that constructs data gathering trees is proposed by optimizing the topology of nodes. Secondly, a maximum links scheduling (MLS) algorithm is proposed to further reduce the latency of data gathering, which ensures that the signal to interference plus noise ratio (SINR) of all scheduled links is not less than a certain threshold to guarantee the reliability of links. In addition, considering the interruption problem of data gathering caused by dead nodes or failed links, a robust mechanism is proposed by selecting certain assistant nodes based on the defined one-hop weight. A number of simulation results show that our algorithms can achieve a lower data gathering latency than some comparable data gathering algorithms while guaranteeing the reliability of links, and a higher packet arrival rate at the sink node can be achieved when the proposed algorithms are performed with the robust mechanism.
KeywordsHeterogeneous wireless sensor networks (HWSNs) data gathering tree multi-channel power assignment link scheduling
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Y. X. Kang, Y. L. Zhu, J. Gao. Chain-type wireless sensor network for monitoring power lines: Topology model and routing algorithm. In Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Cloud Computing and Intelligent Systems, IEEE, Hangzhou, China, pp. 1226–1229, 2012.Google Scholar
- Y. Zhang, L. Lazos, K. Chen, B. C. Hu, S. Shivaramaiah. FD-MMAC: Combating multi-channel hidden and exposed terminals using a single transceiver. In Proceedings of International Conference on Computer Communications, IEEE, Toronto, Canada, pp. 2742–2750, 2014.Google Scholar
- H. Van Luu, X. Y. Tang. An efficient multi-path data collection scheme in wireless sensor networks. In Proceedings of the 31st International Conference on Distributed Computing Systems Workshops, IEEE, Minneapolis, USA, 2011.Google Scholar
- H. Van Luu, X. Y. Tang. An efficient scheduling algorithm for data collection through multi-path routing structures in wireless sensor networks. In Proceedings of the 6th International Conference on Mobile Ad-hoc and Sensor Networks, IEEE, Washington, USA, pp. 68–73, 2010.Google Scholar
- S. J. Lim, M. S. Park. Energy-efficient chain formation algorithm for data gathering in wireless sensor networks. International Journal of Distributed Sensor Networks, vol. 2012, Article number 843413, 2012.Google Scholar
- S. W. Qian, P. Guo, T. Jiang. A novel lifetime-enhanced deployment strategy for chain-type wireless sensor networks. In Proceedings of International Conference on Communications, IEEE, Ottawa, Canada, pp. 513–517, 2012.Google Scholar
- W. Chen, Y. J. Sun, H. Xu. Clustering chain-type topology for wireless underground sensor networks. In Proceedings of the 8th World Congress on Intelligent Control and Automation, IEEE, Jinan, China, pp. 1125–1129, 2010.Google Scholar