Optimal design of fuzzy-AGC based on PSO & RCGA to improve dynamic stability of interconnected multi area power systems
Quickly getting back the synchronism of a disturbed interconnected multi area power system due to variations in loading condition is recognized as prominent issue related to automatic generation control (AGC). In this regard, AGC system based on fuzzy logic, i.e., so-called FLAGC can introduce an effectual performance to suppress the dynamic oscillations of tie-line power exchanges and frequency in multi-area interconnected power system. Apart from that, simultaneous coordination scheme based on particle swarm optimization (PSO) along with real coded genetic algorithm (RCGA) is suggested to coordinate FLAGCs of the all areas. To clarify the high efficiency of aforementioned strategy, two different interconnected multi area power systems, i.e., three-area hydro-thermal power system and five-area thermal power system have been taken into account for relevant studies. The potency of this strategy has been thoroughly dealt with by considering the step load perturbation (SLP) in both the under study power systems. To sum up, the simulation results have plainly revealed dynamic performance of FLAGC as compared with conventional AGC (CAGC) in each power system in order to damp out the power system oscillations.
KeywordsPower system dynamic stability fuzzy logic automatic generation control (FLAGC) particle swarm optimization (PSO) real coded genetic algorithm (RCGA) simultaneous coordination scheme
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- S. Ahmadi, H. Bevrani, S. Shokoohi, E. Hasanii. An improved droop control for simultaneous voltage and frequency regulation in an AC microgrid using fuzzy logic. In Proceedings of the 23rd Iranian Conference on Electrical Engineering, IEEE, Tehran, Iran, pp. 1486–1491, 2015.Google Scholar
- A. D. Falehi, M. Rostami, A. Doroudi, A. Ashrafian. Optimization and coordination of SVC-based supplementary controllers and PSSs to improve power system stability using a genetic algorithm. Turkish Journal of Electrical Engineering and Computer Sciences, vol. 20, no. 5, pp. 639–654, 2012.Google Scholar
- A. D. Falehi, M. Rostami. A robust approach based on RCGA-optimization technique to enhance power system stability by coordinated design of PSS and AVR. International Review of Electrical Engineering, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 371–378, 2011.Google Scholar
- J. Kennedy, R. C. Eberhart, Y. H. Shi. Swarm Intelligence, San Francisco, USA: Morgan Kaufmann Publishers, 2001.Google Scholar
- P. Kundur. Power System Stability and Control, New York, USA: McGraw-Hill, 1994.Google Scholar
- A. D. Falehi, M. Rostami. Design and analysis of a novel dual-input PSS for damping of power system oscillations employing RCGA-optimization technique. International Review of Electrical Engineering, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 938–945, 2011.Google Scholar