Convergence analysis of a new MaxMin-SOMO algorithm
The convergence analysis of MaxMin-SOMO algorithm is presented. The SOM-based optimization (SOMO) is an optimization algorithm based on the self-organizing map (SOM) in order to find a winner in the network. Generally, through a competitive learning process, the SOMO algorithm searches for the minimum of an objective function. The MaxMin-SOMO algorithm is the generalization of SOMO with two winners for simultaneously finding two winning neurons i.e., first winner stands for minimum and second one for maximum of the objective function. In this paper, the convergence analysis of the MaxMin-SOMO is presented. More specifically, we prove that the distance between neurons decreases at each iteration and finally converge to zero. The work is verified with the experimental results.
KeywordsOptimization self organizing map (SOM) SOM-based optimization (SOMO) algorithm particle swarm optimization (PSO) genetic algorithms (GAs)
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
The authors wish to thank the associate editor and the anonymous reviewers for their helpful and interesting comments. We are very grateful to professor Wu Wei for extremely helpful discussion and comments to improve the quality of the paper. Thanks to professor Ricardo Zorzetto Nicoliello Vêncio for his help to improve the text of the paper.
- J. H. Holland. Adaptation in Natural and Artificial Systems, Ann Arbor, USA: University of Michigan Press, 1975.Google Scholar
- L. J. Fogel. Evolutionary programming in perspective: The top-down view. Computational Intelligence: Imitating Life, J. M. Zurada, R. J. Marks II, C. J. Robinson, Eds., Piscataway, USA: IEEE Press, pp. 135–146, 1994.Google Scholar
- I. Rechenberg. Evolution strategy. Computational Intelligence: Imitating Life, J. M. Zurada, R. J. Marks II, C. J. Robinson, Eds., Piscataway, USA: IEEE Press, pp. 147–159, 1994.Google Scholar
- J. Kennedy, R. C. Eberhart, Y. H. Shi. Swarm Intelligence, New York, USA: Academic Press, 2001.Google Scholar
- M. C. Su, T. K. Liu, H. T. Chang. Improving the selforganizing feature map algorithm using an efficient initialization scheme. Tamkang Journal of Science and Engineering, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 35–48, 2002.Google Scholar
- M. C. Su, Y. X. Zhao, J. Lee. SOM-based optimization. In Proceedings of the 2004 IEEE International Joint Conference on Neural Networks, IEEE, Budapest, Hungarg, pp. 781–786, 2004.Google Scholar
- W. Wu, A. Khan. SOMO-m optimization algorithm with multiple winners. Discrete Dynamics in Nature and Society, Article ID 969104, 2012.Google Scholar
- W. Wu, A. Khan. MaxMin-SOMO: An SOM optimization algorithm for simultaneously finding maximum and minimum of a function. In Proceedings of the 9th International Symposium on Neural Networks, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Springer, Shenyang, China, pp. 598–606, 2012.Google Scholar