Design of poiseuille flow controllers using the method of inequalities
- 36 Downloads
This paper investigates the use of the method of inequalities (MoI) to design output-feedback compensators for the problem of the control of instabilities in a laminar plane Poiseuille flow. In common with many flows, the dynamics of streamwise vortices in plane Poiseuille flow are very non-normal. Consequently, small perturbations grow rapidly with a large transient that may trigger nonlinearities and lead to turbulence even though such perturbations would, in a linear flow model, eventually decay. Such a system can be described as a conditionally linear system. The sensitivity is measured using the maximum transient energy growth, which is widely used in the fluid dynamics community. The paper considers two approaches. In the first approach, the MoI is used to design low-order proportional and proportional-integral (PI) controllers. In the second one, the MoI is combined with McFarlane and Glover’s H ∞ loop-shaping design procedure in a mixed-optimization approach.
KeywordsTransient energy growth transient behaviour flow control Poiseuille flow method of inequalities (MoI) mixed optimization H∞-optimization
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- D. R. Carlson, S. E. Widnall, M. F. Peeters. A Flowvisualization Study of Transition in Plane Poiseuille Flow. Journal of Fluid Mechanics Digital Archive, vol. 121, pp. 487–505, 1982.Google Scholar
- V. Zakian. New Formulation for the Method of Inequalities. Proceedings of Institution of Electrical Engineers, vol. 126, no. 6, pp. 579–584, 1979. (Reprinted in Systems and Control Encyclopedia, vol. 5, pp. 3206–3215, 1987.)Google Scholar
- P. J. Schmid, D. S. Henningson. Stability and Transition in Shear Flows. Applied Mathematical Sciences, vol. 142, 2001.Google Scholar
- D. C. McFarlane, K. Glover. Robust Controller Design Using Normalized Coprime Factor Plant Descriptions. Lecture Notes in Control and Information Sciences, vol. 138, 1990.Google Scholar
- J. F. Whidborne, J. McKernan, G. Papadakis. Poiseuille Flow Controller Design via the Method of Inequalities. In Proceedings of UKACC International Conference on Control, Manchester, UK, CDROM, paper number 150, 2008.Google Scholar
- J. McKernan. Control of Plane Poiseuille Flow: A Theoretical and Computational Investigation, Ph. D. dissertation, Cranfield University, UK, 2006.Google Scholar
- J. McKernan, G. Papadakis, J. F. Whidborne. Linear and Non-linear Simulations of Feedback Control in Plane Poiseuille Flow. International Journal for Numerical Methods in Fluids, 2008. (in press, DOI: 10.1002/fld.1851)Google Scholar
- J. F. Whidborne, D. W. Gu, I. Postlethwaite. Algorithms for the Method of Inequalities — A Comparative Study. In Proceedings of American Control Conference, IEEE Press, Seattle, WA, USA, vol. 5, pp. 3393–3397, 1995.Google Scholar
- V. Zakian. Control Systems Design — A New Framework, Springer-Verlag, London, UK, 2005.Google Scholar
- G. P. Liu, J. B. Yang, J. F. Whidborne. Multiobjective Optimisation and Control, Research Studies Press, Baldock, UK, 2001.Google Scholar