Evaluating the performance of a EuroDivisia index using artificial intelligence techniques
- 52 Downloads
This paper compares two methods to predict inflation rates in Europe. One method uses a standard back propagation neural network and the other uses an evolutionary approach, where the network weights and the network architecture are evolved. Results indicate that back propagation produces superior results. However, the evolving network still produces reasonable results with the advantage that the experimental set-up is minimal. Also of interest is the fact that the Divisia measure of money is superior as a predictive tool over simple sum.
KeywordsEuroDivisia Divisia money inflation evolutionary strategies neural networks
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- J. M. Binner, G. Kendall, A. M. Gazely. Evolved vs. Trained Neural Networks: An Evaluation of UK Risky Money. In Proceedings of International Conference on Computational Economics and Finance, Global Business and Economics Review, to be published.Google Scholar
- European Central Bank. The Outcome of the ECB’s Evaluation of Its Monetary Policy Strategy. ECB Monthly Bulletin, pp. 87–102, 2003.Google Scholar
- W. A. Barnett. Economic Monetary Aggregates: An Application of Index Number and Aggregation Theory. Journal of Econometrics, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 11–48, 1980. Reprinted in The Theory of Monetary Aggregation,W. A. Barnett, A. Serletis (eds.), North-Holland, Amsterdam, Holand, Chapter 2, pp. 11–48, 2000.zbMATHCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- W. A. Barnett, D. Fisher, A. Serletis. Consumer Theory and the Demand for Money. Journal of Economic Literature, vol. 30, no. 4, pp. 2086–119, 1992. Reprinted in The Theory of Monetary Aggregation, W. A. Barnett, A. Serletis (eds.), North Holland, Amsterdam, Holand, pp. 389–427, 2000.Google Scholar
- D. E. Rumelhart, G. E. Hinton, R. J.Williams. Learning Internal Representations by Error Propagation. Parallel Distributed Processing, Explorations in the Microstructure of Cognition, MIT Press, Cambridge, MA, USA, vol. 1, pp. 318–362, 1986.Google Scholar
- M. T. Belongia. The Neglected Price Dual of Monetary Quantity Aggregates. Money, Measurement and Computation, M. T. Belongia, J. M. Binner (eds.), Palgrave Macmillan, Chapter 10, pp. 239–255, 2005.Google Scholar