Fast approximate geodesic paths on triangle mesh
- 100 Downloads
We present a new algorithm to compute a geodesic path over a triangle mesh. Based on Novotni’s propagating wavefront method which is similar to the well known Dijkstra algorithm, we made some improvements which Novotni had missed and we also gave the method to find out the geodesic path which Novotni had not. It can handle both convex and non-convex surfaces or even with boundaries. Experiment results show that our method works very well both in efficiency and precision.
KeywordsTriangle mesh geodesic path virtual reality
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- P. Sander, Z. Wood, S. Gortler, J. Snyder, H. Hoppe. Multichart Geometry Images. In Proceedings of Eurographics Symposium on Geometry Processing, Aachen, Germany, pp. 146–155, 2003.Google Scholar
- M. Hilaga, Y. Shinagawa, T. Kohmura, T. L. Kunii. Topology Matching for Fully Automatic Similarity Estimation of 3d Shapes. In Proceedings of ACM SIGGRAPH 2001, Los Angeles, USA, pp. 203–212, 2001.Google Scholar
- K. Polthier, M. Schmies. Geodesic Flow on Polyhedral Surfaces. Data Visualization, Springer, Vienna, pp. 179–188, 1999.Google Scholar
- V. Surazhsky, T. Surazhsky, D. Kirsanov, S. Gortler, H. Hoppe. Fast Exact and Approximate Geodesics on Meshes. In Proceedings of ACM SIGGRAPH 2005, Los Angeles, USA, pp. 553–560, 2005.Google Scholar
- B. Kaneva, J. O’Rourke. An Implementation of Chen & Han’s Shortest Paths Algorithm. In Proceedings of the 12th Canadian Conference on Computational Geometry, New Brunswick, Germany, pp. 139–146, 2000.Google Scholar
- S. Kapoor. Efficient Computation of Geodesic Shortest Paths. In Proceedings of the Thirty-first Annual ACM Symposium on Theory of Computing, Atlanta, Georgia, USA, pp. 770–779, 1999.Google Scholar
- M. Novotni, R. Klein. Computing Geodesic Distances on Triangular Meshes. In Proceedings of the 10th International Conference in Central Europe on Computer Graphics, Visualization and Computer Vision, Bonn, Germany, pp. 341–347, 2002.Google Scholar