A photo-modeling approach to restituting 3D model data from single 2D imagery for rapid prototyping of artifact products
- 89 Downloads
This article first generalizes the basic engineering phases of modern rapid prototyping processes, and then describes the techniques of data capture for data modeling and model making. The article also provides a brief overview of the photogrametric techniques of restitution of 3D objects, and highlights the difficulties and limitations of existing methods. It therefore presents a novel approach to photo-modeling for acquiring 3D model data from single 2D photorealistic images. Implementation of the approach is then described against a background of rapid prototyping processes to demonstrate the effectiveness of photo-modeling practice.
KeywordsRapid prototyping photo-modeling photogrammetry virtual reality
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- C. A. Johnson. Recent developments in rapid prototyping & manufacturing technologies. In Proceedings of Conference of Time Compression Technology 2002 (TCT2002), Future Focus’s Session, Repaid News Publications plc. Time Compression Technologies, Cheshire, UK, 2002.Google Scholar
- W. Schoenmakers. Time compression technologies: Where next? Keynote Address, Conference of Time Compression Technology 2002 (TCT2002), Repaid News Publications plc. Time Compression Technologies, Cheshire, UK, 2002.Google Scholar
- DELCAM. Reverse Engineering, [Online]. Availabe: http://www.delcam.com, 2003.
- M. Carbonnell, R. W. A. Dallas. The International Committee for Architectural Photogrammetry: A review of past achievements and future intentions. Photogrammetric Record, vol. 62, no. 11, pp. 193, 1985.Google Scholar
- J. Badekas. 3D Detailed Reconstruction of a Demolished Building by Using Old Photographs. The International Archives of Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing, vol. 31, Part B5, pp. 16, 1996.Google Scholar
- Introduction to Photogrammetry, [Online]. Availabe: http://www.univie.ac.at/Luftbildarchiv/wgv/intro.html, 2004.
- Measuring and modeling the real world, [Online]. Availabe: http://www.photomodeler.com, 2004.
- R. S. Wright Jr, M. Sweet. OpenGL SuperBible, 2nd edition, Waite Group Press, Indianapolis, USA, pp. 198–206, 2000.Google Scholar