Modeling delay and packet drop in Networked Control Systems using network simulator NS2
Wireless Networked Control Systems (WNCS) are used to implement a control mechanism over a wireless network that is capable of carrying real-time traffic. This field has drawn enormous attention from current researchers because of its flexibility and robustness. However, designing efficient WNCS over Mobile Ad Hoc Networks (MANET) is still a challenging topic because of its less-predictable aspects, such as inconsistent delay, packet drop probability, and dynamic topology. This paper presents design guidelines for WNCS over MANET using the Network Simulator version 2, NS2 software. It investigates the impact of packet delay and packet drop under the AODV and DSR routing protocols. The simulation results have been compared to MATLAB results for validation.
KeywordsAdhoc On-Demand Distance Vector (AODV) routing Dynamic Source routing (DSR) Mobile Adhoc Networks (MANET) Wireless Networked Control Systems (WNCS)
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Future Directions in Control, Dynamics and Systems, [Online], http://www.cds.caltech.edu/:_murray/cdspanel — last access in Mar 2005.
- J. Nilsson. Real-time Control Systems with Delays, Ph.D dissertation, Dept of Automatic Control, Lund Institute of Technology, Lund, Sweden, 1998, [Online], Available: http://www.contr-ol.lth.se/documents/1998/nilj98dis.pdf Google Scholar
- N. J. Ploplys. Wireless feedback control of mechanical systems, Master dissertation, Department of Mechanical Engineering. University of Illinois, Champaign, IL, 2003, [Online], Available: http://mr-roboto.me.uiuc.edu/ARGW-eb/theses/NicksThesis/Ploplys_MS2003.pdf Google Scholar
- S. Mastellone, C. T. Abdallah. Networked Control Systems and Communication Networks: Integrated Model and Stability Analysis. CD ROM Proceedings of the 16th IFAC World Congress, Prague, Czech Republic, July 2005.Google Scholar
- J. Colandairaj, G. W. Irwin, W. G. Scanlon. Analysis and Co-Simulation of an IEEE 802.11B Wireless Networked Control System. CD ROM Proceedings of the 16th IFAC World Congress, Prague, Czech Republic, July 2005.Google Scholar
- Jimmy Kin Cheong So. Delay Modelling and Controller Design for Networked Control Systems, Master dissertation, the Dept of Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Toronto, Canada, 2003, [Online], Available: http://www.control.toronto.edu/:_sojimmy/Thesis.pdf.Google Scholar
- Y. Yang, Y. J. Wang, S. H. Yang. A Networked Control System with Stochastically Varying Transmission Delay and Uncertain Process Parameters. CD ROM Proceedings of the 16th IFAC World Congress, Prague, Czech Republic, July 2005.Google Scholar
- K. Ogata. Modern Control Engineering, 4th Edition, Prentice Hall, New Jersey, USA, 2002.Google Scholar
- The Ns Manual (formerly ns Notes and Documentation), The VINT project, [Online], Available: http://www.isi.edu/nsnam/ns/doc/ns_doc.pdf
- Networked Control Systems agent-plant extension of Network Simulator, NS2, [Online], Available: http://vorlon.cwru.edu/:_vxl11/NetBots/index.html#AgentPlant_ns_extension
- C. E. Perkins, E. M. Royer. Ad hoc On-Demand Distance Vector Routing. In Proceedings of the 2nd IEEE Workshop on Mobile Computing Systems and Applications, New Orleans, LA, February, pp. 90–100, Feb 1999.Google Scholar
- D. B. Johnson, D. A. Maltz, J. Broch. DSR: The Dynamic Source Routing Protocol for Multi-Hop Wireless Ad Hoc Networks, in Ad Hoc Networking, edited by Charles E. Perkins, Chapter 5, Addison-Wesley, Boston, USA, pp. 139–172, 2001.Google Scholar
- H. N. Yu, C. Harding, M. Shahidul Hasan. Overview of Networks and Control, In Proceedings of the International Conference on Instrumentation, Control and Information Technology, Okayama University, Okayama, Japan, Aug pp. 205–210, 2005.Google Scholar
- Eitan Altman, Tania Jimenez. NS Simulator for beginners, Lecture notes, [Online], Available: http://www-sop.inria.fr/maestro/personnel/Eitan.Altman/COURS-NS/n3.pdf