Performance of Wells turbine with guide vanes for wave energy conversion
- 126 Downloads
In order to improve the performance of a Wells turbine, the effect of guide vanes with various gaps between turbine rotor and guide vane has been clarified by model testing and numerical simulation. The results have been compared with those of the case without guide vanes. It is found that the overall characteristics are considerably improved by the inlet guide vanes. Furthermore, a suitable choice of design factor for the gap has been suggested.
KeywordsWells turbine wave energy guide vanes
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Inoue, M., Kaneko, K., Setoguchi, T. and Raghunathan, S., “Simulation of Starting Characteristics of the Wells Turbine,” AIAA/ASME 4th Fluid Mech. Plasma Dynamics Lasers Conf., AIAA-86-1122, (1986).Google Scholar
- Kaneko, K., Setoguchi, T. and Inoue, M., “Performance of Wells Turbine in Oscillating Flow,” Proc. Current Practices and New Tech. in Ocean Eng., ASME, 2, pp.477–452, (1986).Google Scholar
- Setoguchi, T., Kaneko, K. and Inoue, M., “Determination of Optimum Geometry of Wells Turbine Rotor for Wave Power Generator,” Proc. 3rd Symp. on Ocean Wave Energy Utilization (in Japanese), JAMSTEC, pp.141–149, (1986).Google Scholar
- Sturge, D.P., “Turbine for an Oscillating Water Column Wave Power System, CEGB Report No. MM/MECH/TA41, (1977).Google Scholar
- Gato, L.M.C. and Falcao, A.F. de O., “Performance of Wells Turbine with Double Row of Guide Vanes,” JSME Int. J. Series II, 33, No.2, pp.262–271, (1990).Google Scholar
- Inoue, M., Kaneko, K. and Setoguchi, T., “Studies on Wells Turbine for Wave Power Generator: Part 3; Effect of Guide Vanes,” Bull. JSME, 28, No.243, pp.1986–1991, (1985).Google Scholar
- Arakawa, C., Suzuki, M. and Tagori, T., “Improvement of Performances of Wells Turbine,” Proc. 6th Conf. on Energy and Resources (in Japanese), pp.39–44, (1987).Google Scholar
- Ikui, T., Inoue, M. and Kaneko, K., “Two-Dimensional Cascade Performance of Circular-arc Blades,” Tokyo Joint International Gas Turbine Conference and Products Show, JSME-9, (1971).Google Scholar