Experimental Study on Hybrid Organic Phase Change Materials Used for Solar Energy Storage
- 6 Downloads
The solar energy utilization in built environment has been limited due to its low heat flux, uneven distribution in time and space and temporal difference in day and night. The phase change materials have been used to collect the fluctuant solar energy to form a stable energy source for the terminal equipment of the buildings. In this study, the hybrid organic phase change materials was prepared for the capillary radiant heating system which formed a cascade utilization of solar energy. Firstly, lauric acid and stearic acid were selected as the basic organic phase change materials and the binary equilibrium phase diagram was completed based on the method of step cooling curve according to the experimental tests data. The results showed that the phase transition temperature of the mixed acid at the lowest eutectic point was 31.2°C and the latent heat value was 264.3 kJ/kg when the mass mixing ratio was 70% for lauric acid and 30% for stearic acid. Secondly, the expanded graphite was used as an additive to enwrap the mixed acid and enhance the heat conductivity. The experimental results showed that when the mass proportion of expanded graphite in the mixed acid was 10%), the mixed acid could be completely enclosed by expanded graphite and the stability of melting and solidification was optimal. Additionally, the phase transition temperature of the hybrid phase change material was 31.5°C and the latent heat value was 217.4 kJ/kg. The novel hybrid phase change material has a lower eutectic point and a higher latent heat of phase change, so it has a large application space and is quite suitable for the cascade utilization of solar energy with capillary network heating system.
Keywordslauric acid stearic acid expanded graphite phase change material solar energy
Phase change material
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
The work was supported by the Innovation Chain of Key Industries of Shaanxi Province under Grant (No.2018ZDCXL-GY-10-03), and the National Natural Science Foundation of China (No.51478386).
- Yi J., Research report on annual development of China’s building energy efficiency. China Architecture & Building Press, 2018. (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- Xu W., Zheng R., Lu B., Research report on application development of solar energy in China. China Architecture & Building Press, 2009. (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- Tan H.J., Pan C.Y., Yu D., et al., Preparation and analysis of a heat storage phase change composite material taking PNIPAM as carrier. Journal of Functional Materials, 2008, 39(12): 2015–2017.21. (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- San A., Karaipekli A., Thermal conductivity and latent heat thermal energy storage characteristics of paraffin/ expanded graphite composite as phase change material. Applied Thermal Engineering, 2007, 27(8): 1271–1277.Google Scholar
- Wang Z.S., Yang L.S., Hu X.W., Luo X.L., Gu Z.L., Improvement and experimental study of the T-history method. Journal of Refrigeration (In Chinese), 2017, 38(6): 34–38+45. (in Chinese)Google Scholar