Influence of setting condition on characteristics of Savonius hydraulic turbine with a shield plate
- 273 Downloads
The aim of this investigation was to improve power performance of Savonius hydraulic turbine utilizing small stream for electric generation. An attempt was made to increase the power coefficient of runner by the use of flat shield plate placed upstream of the runner. The difference of the power coefficient is discussed in relation to clearance between the runner and the bottom wall and the rotation direction of the runner. The flow field around the runner was also examined visually to clarify influences of setting conditions on the power performance. From this study it was found that the power coefficient is achieved for 0.47 by only using a flat shield plate, the increase is up to 80% over the runner without the plate. Moreover, it is the proper condition that clearance ratio is 0.73 in this study.
KeywordsNano-hydraulic turbine Savonius runner Shield plate Performance
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Murai, H., Kataoka, M., Narasaka, T., Watanabe, H. and Onuma, S.: Influence of Flaps and Deflectors on Power and Torque Characteristics of Savonius Rotor, Journal of the Visualization Society of Japan, 4-Suppl, pp.11–16, (1984), in Japanese.Google Scholar
- Ueno, H., Mino, M. and Takada, N.: Savonius type wind turbine (The influence of wind concentrator), Journal of Japan Solar Energy Society, Vol.30, No.5, pp.35–40, (2004), in Japanese.Google Scholar
- Sato, S., Kikuchi, K. and Ushiyama, I.: An Experimental Study on Power Augmentation of Savonius Rotor, Proceedings of JSES/JWEA Joint Conference, Memoirs of the Ashikaga Insutitute of Technology, pp.197–200, (1997).Google Scholar
- Lei, W., Kitani, O., Okamoto, T. and Torii, T.: Experimental Study on the Efficiency Increase of a Savonius Windmill (Part 1): Test of Concentrator’s Performance, Journal of the Japanese Society of Agricultural Machinery, Vol.58, No.2, pp.11–17, (1996), in Japanese.Google Scholar
- Savonius, S. J., The S-Rotor and Its Applications, Mechanical Engineering, Vol.53, No.5, pp.333–338, (1931).Google Scholar
- Takaku, A. and Ogawa, Y.: Practical Application of Multi-Step Vertical-axis Wind Rotor (2nd Report, Characteristics of the Third Wind Rotor), Turbomachinery, Vol.13, No.12, pp.711–721, (1985), in Japanese.Google Scholar
- Suzuki, S., Kato, E. and Tachikawa, T.: Flow in the vicinity of vane of Twist Savonius Rotor, Ibaraki district conference, Hitachi, Japan, pp.137–138, (2005), in Japanese.Google Scholar
- Higo, T., Takasugi, Y., Fujiwara, T. and Noguchi, H.: Efficiency of Savonius Hydro Turbine for Tidal Current, Reports of the Government Industrial Research Institute Chugoku, No.32, pp.1–13, (1989), in Japanese.Google Scholar
- Tan, S., Shimizu, Y. and Kikuyama, K.: Experimental Studies on a Savonius Rotor with Casing, Transactions of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers, Series B, Vol.63, No.611, pp.2356–2363, (1997), in Japanese.Google Scholar
- Okuda, K., Watabe, T., Kondoh, H. and Yano, K.: Study of the Wave Energy Conversion System Fixed on the Seashore: Part 1 A Water Turbine of Savonius Type for Wave Power, Memoirs of the Muroran Institute of Technology, Muroran, Japan, pp.427–432, (1981), in Japanese.Google Scholar
- Iio, S., Uchiyama, F., Sonoda, C. and Ikeda, T.: Performance Improvement of Savonius Hydraulic Turbine by using a Shield Plate, Turbomachinery, Vol.37, No.12, pp.743–748, (2009), in Japanese.Google Scholar