Dynamic response and optimization of an inclined steel rock shed by the graded energy dissipating method
- 15 Downloads
Blocking rockfalls directly by reinforced concrete (RC) flat sheds with thick sand cushions is an outdated method. Such conventional sheds typically accumulate rock heavily, and become progressively damaged and are difficult to repair, and are very costly. To address these problems, we propose a new structure called a Graded Dissipating Inclined Steel Rock (GDISR) shed that utilizes the graded energy dissipation method. Here, we study the dynamic response of the GDISR shed with model test and numerical simulation, and give its optimization design combining with a practical engineering case. Our results show that the optimized modular E-block and corrugated steel tube can deform to sufficiently absorb the energy of different impact intensities. This efficiently and economically provides GDISR sheds with two security lines. Compared with conventional RC sheds, GDISR sheds with optimal incline have a more efficient anti-impact function, are faster and easier to repair, and are much simpler and cheaper to build.
KeywordsDynamic response Optimization design Graded dissipating inclined steel rock shed
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
This work was supported by the National Key Basic Research Program of China (2016YFB0201003), the National Natural Science Foundation of China (41672356), and the 135 Strategic Program of the Institute of Mountain Hazards and Environment, CAS (SDS-135-1704).
- Chen Y, Li J, Ran L (2013) A review of rockfall control measures along highway. Applied Mechanics and Materials 353–356: 2385–2391. https://doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/AMM.353-356.2385 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Masuya H, Labiouse V (1999) Impact load by rock falls and design of protection structures. In: Proceedings of the joint Japan–Swiss scientific seminar. Japan: Department of Civil Engineering, Kanazawa University.Google Scholar
- Ghadimi Khasraghy S (2012) Numerical Simulation of Rockfall Protection Galleries, Prediction of shear failure of rockfall protection galleries, Diss. Nr. 1993, ETH Zurich, SwitzerlandGoogle Scholar
- Xin YJ, Wang HD, Cheng SL (2007) Experimental study on new combined steel–lead damper. Engineering mechanics 24(2): 126–130. (In Chinese). Dassault SIMULIA Co., Ltd. ABAQUS 6.13 help document. 2013.Google Scholar
- Goel MD (2014) Analysis of aluminum foam for protective packaging. Advances in Structural Engineering 1: 321–329.Google Scholar
- China National Standard (2010) Code for design of concrete structure. GB 50010–2010 (In Chinese).Google Scholar