Composition of stable isotope in precipitation and its influences by different vapor sources in the eastern Qilian Mountains
- 7 Downloads
To better understand the process of precipitation and water cycle, the composition of stable isotope in precipitation and its influences by different vapor sources in the eastern of Qilian Mountains were conducted from June 2013 to May 2014. The total of 100 precipitation samples were collected in Wushaoling national meteorological station located in the eastern of Qilian Mountains. The analysis indicates that the slope of Local Meteoric Water Line is lower than that of Global Meteoric Water Line. The average values of δ18O and δD in precipitation are higher in summer but lower in winter. Except for negative correlation with relative humidity, the stable isotope values in precipitation are positive correlations with temperature, precipitation and water vapor pressure. Influenced by water vapor source, the values of d-excess are lower for the Westerly wind and the South Asia Monsoon on July and the Westerly wind and the East Asia Monsoon on August, but they are higher for the Westerly wind on other months, that they are also influenced by the weather conditions in rainfall process. The variation of stable isotope in precipitation exhibited significant temperature effect, and there is also some precipitation amount effect in spring and summer.
KeywordsStable isotope Precipitation Water vapor source Qilian Mountains
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
The research reported in this manuscript is funded by the Youth Innovation Promotion Association, CAS (2013274), National Nature Science Foundation of China (91547102 and 41661005), Gansu Province Science Fund for Distinguished Young Scholars (1506RJDA282), National Key R&D Program of China (2017YFC0404305), and National Natural Science Foundation Innovation Research Group Science Foundation of China (41421061).
- Chen FL, Zhang MJ, Ma Q, et al. (2013) Characteristics of δ18O in precipitation and water vapor sources in Lanzhou city and its surrounding area. Environmental Science 34(10): 3755–3763. (In Chinese)Google Scholar
- Feng F, Li ZQ, Jin S, et al. (2013) Characteristics of δ18O and δD in precipitation and its water vapor sources in the upper Urumqi river basin, eastern Tianshan. Advance in Water Science 24(5): 634–641. (In Chinese)Google Scholar
- Lachniet MS, Patterson WP (2009) Oxygen isotope values of precipitation and surface waters in northern Central America (Belize and Guatemala) are dominated by temperature and amount effects. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 284(3): 435–446. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.epsl.2009.05.010 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Li G, Zhang XP, Zhang XZ, et al. (2013) Stale hydrogen and oxygen isotopes characteristic of atmospheric precipitation from Tengchong, Yunnan. Resources and Environment in the Yangtze Basin 22(11): 1458–1465. (In Chinese)Google Scholar
- Li XF, Zhang MJ, Li YJ, et al. (2012) Characteristics of δ18O in precipitation and moisture transports over the arid region in northwest China. Environmental Science 33(3): 711–719. (In Chinese)Google Scholar
- Liu JR, Song XF, Yuan GF, et al. (2008) Characteristics of δ18O in precipitation over northwest China and its water vapor sources. Acta Geographica Sinica 63(1): 12–22. (In Chinese)Google Scholar
- Liu ZF, Tian LD, Yao TD, et al. (2009) Spatial distribution of δ18O in precipitation over China. Chinese Science Bulletin 54(6): 804–811. (In Chinese)Google Scholar
- Wang XY, Li ZQ, Ruozihan T, et al. (2015) Characteristics of atmospheric precipitation isotope and isotopic evidence for the moisture origin in Yushugou River basin, Eastern Tianshan Mountains, China. Quaternary International 380–381: 106–115. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.quaint.2014.12.023 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Wu HW, Zhang XP, Guan HD, et al. (2012) Influences of different moisture sources on δD andδ18O in precipitation in Changsha, Hunan province. Journal of natural resources 27(8): 1404–1414. (In Chinese)Google Scholar
- Wu X, Zhu XY, Zhang ML, et al. (2013) High–resolution stable isotope recode of atmospheric precipitation in Guilin. Resources and Environment in the Yangtze Basin 22(2): 182–188. (In Chinese)Google Scholar
- Yu WS, Wei FL, Ma YM, et al. (2016) Stable isotope variations in precipitation over Deqin on the southeastern margin of the Tibetan Plateau during different seasons related to various meteorological factors and moisture sources. Atmospheric Research 170: 123–130. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.atmosres.2015.11.013 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Zhang YH, Wu YQ (2009) Oxygen and hydrogen isotopes in precipitation in Heihe river basin, China. Journal of Glaciology and Geocryology 31(1): 34–39. (In Chinese)Google Scholar
- Zhao JC, Wei BH, Xiao SB (2009) Stable isotopic characteristics of atmospheric precipitation from Yichang, Hubei. Tropical Geography 29(6): 526–531. (In Chinese)Google Scholar